What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? approximately 77 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no, but I monitor the temperature
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? he is alone

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? aqueon pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? once daily, though he has been fasted for the past two days because he had been a tad bloated.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1 50% per week, 1 100% per week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? see above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? nutrafin water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? UNTESTED

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? two of his scales seem to be raised, possibly falling off? one right near his head on his left side, one on his back. he was bloated for a couple days, but he seems better now.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? difficult to tell, he was just moved into his new tank, so he's stressed.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? bloating two days ago, scales today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no treatment yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? not to my knowledge, i have only had him for a week.
How old is your fish (approximately)? unknown (petstore fish)

I am probably just being a paranoid new betta mommy, but he worries me when I see things on him that I haven't seen before. He really only has about two scales that are sticking up. I read about dropsy and he doesn't seem to have those issues at all. I fasted him yesterday and today and when I got home, I went ahead and gave him a couple food pellets. As I was giving him those pellets, I noticed the misplaced scales (it is difficult to see as his tank still has all the little bubbles on the side of the glass... if necessary, I can try to get pictures, but they likely won't turn out well). He has been exploring his tank since I put him in it, and I have noticed him hanging out near the top quite a bit, but he doesn't seem sick or lethargic. Just... these scales, is all.

Any insight? Am I overreacting to nothing?
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

Sounds like he's fine.

Perhaps check his decorations of any sharp points. If there's somewhere a betta can hurt itself, you can bet they'll find that spot as quick as possible.

A good way to test is to run nylon over everything. If it snags, it can hurt your betta. Filing down all sharp edges is a good idea too.

As far as treatment, I would just keep up with what you're doing and possibly add some stress coat if you have it on hand.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:27 PM   #3 
Seki

Thank you for the reply, pataflafla! I will check his decorations again, although I was very careful about checking them when I was setting up the tank. But knowing my luck, I probably missed the one spot he could hurt himself and he probably honed in on it like a daggone beacon! Crazy little fishy!

I don't have any stress coat, should I go buy some? I am going to get him a heater in the next few days so I can heat his tank just a little more than it is now... I could pick up the stress coat when I go.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #4 
lelei

I find it's good to have some basics just in case, of an emergency, or and urgent need, I have Epsom Salt, and Aqauarium salt, and Stress coat, but it does sound like your lil guy is ok, but a pic would help if you can..just to be sure:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #5 
Seki

Okay, I did my best to get a picture. Like I said, the tank is newly set up and still bubbly, but he has kindly nibbled some of the bubbles off in some places. I am concerned about the white spot that looks like a scale falling off. A lot of the whiteness is the light hitting it, although it is lighter colored, I guess. is this bad? Should I be worried?

Old 07-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #6 
lelei

I cannot really tell, but in the 2nd pic, I do see a lil something on his head, not enough to worry about, keep the water very clean, and keep an eye on it, and yea, just double check some of the decorations, and ornaments for sharp edges..
Old 07-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #7 
lelei

oops, 3rd pic..lol..:)
Old 07-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #8 
Aus

MY plakat had one of these on his nose the other day, bugged the heck out of me. But it's just a loose scale. Dropped off later that day, not a mark left or anything. I think he was digging about in the wood exploring his tank and bumped it..

I'd say ^+1 to don't panic, clean water and keep an eye on it.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #9 
Seki

His tank is freshly cleaned, he was just put into it today. I'll do a water change the day after tomorrow, maybe? I want things to settle for him since he had a stressful move today (it was hard to catch him). I am just super anxious about being a new owner, is all... and I am already very much attached to my little guy.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:44 PM   #10 
lelei

You can work around him, use the siphon, so you don't have to take him out.. yea, in 2 days, is fine, do your 50% water change, and take new pix..let him get settled for now..Good luck and Keep us posted:)