Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #61 
MSG

I still think you have traces of something in either your gravel or water. It could also be minerals/chemicals in your hot water you're not getting out when you're rinsing the tank.

Like I said with the 1G betta condos & 2G betta houses. They're too light to be sprayed with a detachable showerhead. Basically you have to hold onto it while you're cleaning it.

I tip my 2.5G glass tank on it's side and spray it down if it's really nasty. It's just heavy enough so I don't have to worry about it moving around.

You don't have that option with your ZM acrylic tank because it will tumble around your tub if you don't physically hold onto it with 1 hand.

Either it's......
  1. Ammonia from not enough water changes.
  2. Residue from the hot water/chlorine that's not neutralized.
  3. Something in the gravel
  4. It could also be the amount of salt you're using to treat them.
One or several of those are causing your betta's fins to decay like that.

Either way, you need do some ammonia tests on your ZM houses to see what the levels are.

• BTW, what kind of sponge are you using to clean it with?

Good luck.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #62 
bettaluvr

I'm going to start doing 50% water changes with a gravel vac on Wednesdays and 100% on Saturdays..hopefully that will solve the fin issues.
bettaluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:31 AM   #63 
bettaluvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
I still think you have traces of something in either your gravel or water. It could also be minerals/chemicals in your hot water you're not getting out when you're rinsing the tank.

Like I said with the 1G betta condos & 2G betta houses. They're too light to be sprayed with a detachable showerhead. Basically you have to hold onto it while you're cleaning it.

I tip my 2.5G glass tank on it's side and spray it down if it's really nasty. It's just heavy enough so I don't have to worry about it moving around.

You don't have that option with your ZM acrylic tank because it will tumble around your tub if you don't physically hold onto it with 1 hand.

Either it's......
  1. Ammonia from not enough water changes.
  2. Residue from the hot water/chlorine that's not neutralized.
  3. Something in the gravel
  4. It could also be the amount of salt you're using to treat them.
One or several of those are causing your betta's fins to decay like that.

Either way, you need do some ammonia tests on your ZM houses to see what the levels are.

• BTW, what kind of sponge are you using to clean it with?

Good luck.
I thoroughly clean the tanks, gravel, plastic plants and ornaments with hot water, then rinsed with cold. I have the same routine for all my guys and I don't know why but I have a young Veiltail I bought as a baby from petco a few months ago and he's in only a 1 gallon and he's perfectly healthy with a 1x a week 100% water change. I'll start giving him 2x a week. Another halfmoon of mine has had zero issues but those 2 are the only ones, my other 5 guys have had some and I thought it might have been tail biting or blown fins.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #64 
bettaluvr

Im also using aqueon water conditioner
http://www.aqueonproducts.com/produc...nditioner74704
I got several bottles for free..I put about 5 drops in a 1 gallon water jug then fill it with tap. It sits about a week until their next change. I have a 4 gallon bottle I fill up also.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #65 
bettasusa

Very beautiful additions! Congrats! The tanks are also very stylish!
bettasusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:58 AM   #66 
MSG

You have to do the ammonia test on your tanks first. I haven't changed my water in my filtered tanks for WEEKS now but that's only because my ammonia is still zero for everything. I'll be doing a series of tests later today when I get home.

I think you have ammonia in your tank because it's such a pain to change the water for those ZM tanks. I would resort to once a week change as well if I had them.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #67 
bettaluvinmom64

your secret is safe with me. glad one of us got them Congrads Theya re beautiful boys!
bettaluvinmom64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:06 AM   #68 
bettaluvr

Update with my boy Clark...he's healing nicely and doing much better and back to building his bubble nest again! I'm giving him 100% water changes every 3 days with 2 teaspoons of salt, a few drops of stress coat and an indian almond leaf. I'll dicontinue the salt and stress coat this week...and all my guys are looking better with the 50% water change with a gravel vac on Wednesdays added to the 100% thorough cleaning I give them on saturdays.
Attached Images

Last edited by bettaluvr; 09-12-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:19 AM   #69 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaluvr View Post
and here they are in my bedroom on top of my tv.
are they still on top of your TV? that could be what's stressing them. the heat from the electronics (especially from the cable box between them) could be raising their water temperature, and the noise from the speakers, especially so close where it can actively vibrate the water, can put a lot of stress on a little fish.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:51 AM   #70 
bettaluvr

Yeah they're still on top but there's no heat where their tanks are and they can't see the light from the screen...the speakers are on the bottom also so there's no movement in the water. I also probably just watch about an hour of tv at night so I doubt thats any problem.They even sleep on their leaf hammocks with the lights off and the tv on. I guess a 100% water change in a 2 gallon isn't enough and that was it.