Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #1 
lilyrazen

Cool Changing things up

I'm moving Vilkas from his 10 gallon (which is just him alone, because both shrimp mysteriously disappeared) to a 2.5g minibow my friend is giving to me (long story short, our friend moved and gave her all of this stuff and she doesn't need it so she's giving it to me).

This way, he's going to be by my computer (which I'm on all day) in the living room, where there's always SOMEONE to pay attention to him. It has its own filter and heater and everything, so he's going to be just fine by himself.

I was actually wondering if any of you have experience with goldfish, because I have one at the moment living (happily, really) in a critter keeper (mt grandma's idea) and I might move it into the ten gallon in the spare room and was wondering if that would be okay, especially because I want to eventually move that tank into my bedroom and divide it or turn it into sorority (probably divide it) but I wouldn't want to change the gravel and decor and wash it all.

Last edited by lilyrazen; 07-14-2012 at 04:46 PM.
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #2 
megaredize

goldfish could use the 10 gallon, KK is way too small for a goldfish, the rule of thumb with goldfish is fancy goldfish need 20 gallons and 10 gallons for each extra goldfish and comet/commons need even more because they grow even bigger and are stronger swimmers. i had 2 very small fancy goldfish in a 10 gallon and even then the nitrates were always at 20 ppm even with some live plants and 2 moss balls.
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

The minimum for 1 Fancy Goldfish is 20 gallons. Don't put Goldfish in a 10 Gallon. Goldies can't live in a KK. The biggest size for a KK is 6 gallons which isn't enough for a Goldfish.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #4 
lilyrazen

It's either the KK (the ten gallon for however long) or it's gone (they'd rather kill it than bring it in to Petco to give it to them).
My four year old cousin would also throw a fit if we got rid of it, because it was won at a fair game (it's a common goldfish) over a year ago (and he was there and named it himself) and we didn't know we'd be the ones keeping it.
I can't go buy a 20 gallon for this one fish, even if I had the money there's still no space.

The main problem with putting it in the 10 gallon is that my grandma will INSIST that we get more goldfish so we aren't wasting an entire tank on one fish (at least with Vilkas I had a reason he couldn't have anything more than the shrimp)

Last edited by lilyrazen; 07-14-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #5 
megaredize

commons can grow to 12 inches in the end it will need a new home eventually
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Then it's best to have a sorority. Or maybe even a dwarf puffer. Commons or Comets need an at least 75 gallon, so don't waste your time.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #7 
lilyrazen

I still have to deal with my cousin though, and if I get a sorority my grandma will insist he gets his to pick OWN fish to put in it, which means he gets to feed it every time he comes over, which basically means one might get SBD from him feeding them massive amounts.

I also don't know how to convince my grandmother that we need to get rid of the fish that she thinks is fine in the KK.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Tell her that it's going to die soon if it lives in that tank. Ammonia is going to build up too fast.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #9 
lilyrazen

Okay. Whenever she gets home (she's out shopping or SOMETHING), I'll try to convince her to bring it in to petco. That's what happened when I was like 11 and rescued some goldfish from a friend that was going to flush them (and by returning them to petco, I got two bettas as a replacement and divided my 10).