Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2012, 10:28 PM   #1 
hb1547

Should I isolate my betta to treat his fin rot?

My betta has a case of fin rot. I recently bought some aquarium salt to start treating him.

Currently he's in a 10g cycled tank with a male platy (both are friendly to each other). Should I take the betta out and have him in a separate container while using the aquarium salt, or should I leave him in that tank while I use it?
hb1547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Yes, separate him. No need to medicate the platy Plus I think platys do not like salt...

Anyways, pre-dissolve the aquarium salt, starting at 1 teaspoon per gallon. Add to the water. You can add up to 3 teaspoons of salt. Do a water change 100% every day, then re-add the salt. Do this for 10 days, or a couple days after it clears up.

My question for you: What is causing the rot? Make sure it is not environmental. Ammonia is the main culprit.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #3 
hb1547

Honestly I'm not fully sure what's caused it. The tank is fully cycled and I gravel vacuum it well every other day. The filters are in good condition as well.

While I waited for the tank to cycle, I had him in a separate tank with a smaller heater. I found out that the smaller heater was causing issues with the water, and I think that contributed a lot to the rot.
hb1547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #4 
Kenny G

I agree 100% with Sena and treat separately.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #5 
Pogthefish

How much water d you change during the vacuming? Can we have a picture of the fins? Could you fill out the sticky so we have more information?
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote