Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #1 
TheCrabbyTabby

Quarintine Mopani Wood?

While I was at Petco, I picked up some mopani wood. It was already in one of their tanks so they bagged it with some water and that's how I took it home. I didn't want to just throw the wood into the ten gallon with the new betta so I tossed it in the 3 gallon hospital tank I had previously set up for my previous betta, Gabe (who passed away in there during the course of a treatment).

Anyways, the hospital tank water has a teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon in it (was in a rush to get the baby betta settled in and just tossed the log in the already salted water). I am guessing this should help rid it of any possible bacteria and even the occasional snail that may have stowed away. I am also guessing I should leave the wood in that hospital tank for a few weeks so its good for use in the 10 gallon. I plan on tying my java ferns to it with some old fishing line. Right now they are just free floating.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #2 
ravenwinds

YES, it's a good idea to quarantine the wood as it has been exposed to everything in Petco's tanks :)...probably for 10days to 2weeks. I don't think the salt you have in tank is concentrated to kill too many pathogens...at least some of the ones that might of hitched a ride could have been hibernating on wood, which they would continue to do until a fish comes around, then they would wake up, invade, and multiply....you could boil it, increase salt for awhile, use bleach or potassium permangate...just be careful to clean it well after if use a chemical.
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #3 
TheCrabbyTabby

I have some marine salt around somewhere from keeping hermit crabs. Would it be a good idea to use that?
Old 07-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Aren't you supposed to put it in tap water? Or was that just for live plants...
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #5 
TheCrabbyTabby

Eh. I figured since it wasn't technically alive, nor a plant, it didn't need plain old tap water. Besides, I didn't feel like emptying a whole 3 gallon tank and filling it back up when the water was perfectly good in there (and yes, its been treated with dechlorinator).
Old 07-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Actually, tap water can kill any nasties on the wood. It would kill off the bacteria and anything there.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:17 AM   #7 
ravenwinds

The chlorine in tap water acts like a low dose of bleach water :)...don't know what % and how well it kills pathogens, I live in the woods and have a well of deep aquifer water...clean pure, and devoid of chlorines and fluoride :o) ! Tap water probably helps but same theory as the concentration of aquarium salt in water now....I think its to low of a concentration to kill a really big nasty if it was on that wood from the store's tank. Probably get a lot of flack for this, but if it were me, I would use a 10% bleach solution for a day (or boil it for 4hrs-6hrs). Since you plan to quarantine the wood, I would bleach it for half to one day and then soak it in water, changing the water at least 1x per day (more like 2-3x/day) for a few days. Leaving it out in water will eventually deactivate the bleach, like aging tap water at least 24hrs in a bucket will deactivate chlorine in tap water. After a few days, you shouldn't be able to smell bleach on the wood, but to be safe, add dechlorinator...I would probably use half a cap of Prime or if you have a sample of another kind, use it(it's what I do with the freebies that come with tanks and filters). Only after dosing w/ at least double the recommendation of dechlorinator and then letting sit in that water overnight, would I put it in the quarantine tank for rest of 10day period.
Use only good old fashioned bleach with no scent!
This should kill off pretty much anything that the store might have in their tanks.
This should also kill all snails, etc that might have hitched a ride.

Boiling does about same thing, and is chemical safe.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:23 PM   #8 
registereduser

i love mopani wood! i bought 2 dry pieces and soaked them. only one had heavy tannins. so far no sign of white fuzzy stuff that i had read about growing on them. they look awesome under water.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #9 
ravenwinds

Yes, Mopani wood does look gorgeous under water, none of my pieces grew the white fuzz (fungus?) either...all came presoaked and boiled from discus Dave's on aquabid. One is spewing out tannins after his treatment and mine when they got here :) ! My 40g is really dark and it's been a month.