Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #1 
magnum

In The Wrong?

So I made a trip to City Farmers (pet store) yesterday and I was browsing their betta section. All there bettas are always in clean water, so Im quite happy not to take any rescues from there. Anyhow, I seen a couple come in and buy a tiny bowl, food and some betta water for their betta. I really wanted to advise them on the proper bowl and care, but I didnt due to nerves.... dammit. Is it appropriate to advise others on fish care, even if they are older? And if so, how is the best way to go about it?
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #2 
TheCrabbyTabby

I get that way too. I guess I don't want to make a fuss and get kicked out of the store or something.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

It's Fine! You are Trying to Save a Life!

No, you could help people who don't know the real care of Bettas. You're saving a Betta's life so don't be afraid. Well, you should explain to them that you have your own Betta and explain to them of what you do to it. You know like how you do water changes and when you feed him you don't under or overfeed. Don't mention your Betta's tank size. Just tell her that Bettas should be in an at least 2.5 gallon unless you want to do more water changes and that it's like living in a closet for us. You also explain that they need water changes and it's like living in your own poo to them. Explain this site to them. It should help them with knowing what real Betta care is. Or even tell them to do even more research.

Otherwise, I don't know how you're going to approach them with info (I'm an idiot BTW) Are you old enough to get a job there? Maybe you could start by 'Did you know that blah blah blah'? Not the blah blah blah part but you get the point. Hehehe... I hope you can tell her about the proper care. Good Luck!!! :D
P.S. Don't try to get kicked out!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #4 
ZubinBetta

Sometimes you have to let people make their own mistakes. (And sometimes the betta bowl is just the "open door" to further discoveries about how best to care for a betta.) Educating fellow customers about proper betta care is appropriate, if you have the nerve, but it can often come across as patronizing and even shrill. Know the limits of your own people-skills, or the whole episode/encounter will appear bizarre. Also, the pet store proprietors probably want to sell the betta bowls they have on hand. They might resent your discouragement of other customers' purchases. You could have a talk with the poprietor of City Farmers and mention the elderly couple and your impression that bettas require a different sort of set-up. If nothing else, such a conversation might be an opportunity to learn about City Farmers' own philosophy of betta care. But it may turn out even better, and you may convince them there is a better way. I'm sure they will appreciate that you felt some misgivings about approaching those people in the store, and refrained from intervention. It sounds as though the pet store is doing so much right, that it may be worthwhile airing your concerns to them--to partner with them in whatever capacity they will permit. Activism comes in many different levels of intensity. Trust your inner "meter" about whether situations feel right, and give yourself credit, already, for having done the right thing. Next time the opportunity arises, you may have a clearer--or different--sense of how to react. You might just start a polite conversation and mention your own love of these fishes, and see where it goes from there.

Last edited by ZubinBetta; 07-14-2012 at 06:25 PM. Reason: close parenthesis
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #5 
magnum

@ Lebron and Crabby Tabby: That's exactly what I'm afraid of! I don't like the idea of getting kicked out of the store!

@ZubinBetta: I like your idea of just starting a conversation instead of just walking up and launching into a rant about tanks, water changes and so forth. I guess I could email City Farmers and say that they should change there Betta Packs to include a bigger tank and a heater, as the tanks they are selling are too small for a Betta.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Happened to me today. I only had the guts to tell them what a half-moon is.
There's nothing wrong with being shy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #7 
magnum

I know :3 but it's hard to see someone buy a fish thats going to be stuck in less than half a gallon.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:16 AM   #8 
Shayebri

If you don't want to get kicked OUT of the store, stand outside and when people walk out tell them. XD After every person go and hide in the store next door to it for a few minutes. XD
Shayebri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:37 AM   #9 
magnum

Quote:
If you don't want to get kicked OUT of the store, stand outside and when people walk out tell them. XD After every person go and hide in the store next door to it for a few minutes. XD
hahaha! That would work perfectly, they can't exactly kick you out of a store your not in. I wish I worked there, then I wouldn't seem like some creepy kid trying to tell people what to do...
Old 07-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #10 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum View Post
So I made a trip to City Farmers (pet store) yesterday and I was browsing their betta section. All there bettas are always in clean water, so Im quite happy not to take any rescues from there. Anyhow, I seen a couple come in and buy a tiny bowl, food and some betta water for their betta. I really wanted to advise them on the proper bowl and care, but I didnt due to nerves.... dammit. Is it appropriate to advise others on fish care, even if they are older? And if so, how is the best way to go about it?
I saw a little boy with his allowance money, a half gallon container, no food, no thermometer, no heater etc. I started telling him how beautiful bettas are, and that they like a big swimming pool. When his mom came over I gave her a brief explanation of betta care, and suggested she do some research so her son would not lose his new pet. She confided that they were leaving on vacation for a week, and convinced her son that they would learn about them, and get one when they get back home. The boy was not happy, and I can tell you, the look the sales girl gave me could have killed..but, I did what I did!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote