Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #1 
Relic

Betta acting funny

I purchased a betta this morning and he seemed fine at first but he is now acting strange...he will "rest" on my plants or just simply lay on the bottom..every now and then it's like he gets a burst of energy and he will swim to the top or swim mid tank for a bit, but then he lays back down or acts lethargic. What could be wrong with him? The tank is a 10 gallon,filtered,heated,planted with a gravel and sand substrate, The water parameters are fine...he has a few tank mates that include neon tetras,ghost shrimp and a clown pleco. All of which are doing fine and pay no attention to the betta. Could it be that I brought home a sick betta? maybe he is just getting accustomed to his new home? I have another 10 gallon set up with a betta and a few cory cats...that betta never acted "odd" when I first got him.
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #2 
Alcemistnv

That's a lot of tank mates haha

and it could be possible he's just getting accustomed. It takes every betta some time to adjust. But if you want to be safe, you can check the temperature and water parameters.

Also, I heard that plecos shouldn't be in tanks with bettas because of how much waste they excrete, but if someone could clarify that, that'd be great.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #3 
Relic

Thanks for the reply! My tank is probably slightly over stocked with the addition of the betta but I check the water parameters often and do partial water changes every few days. The tank stays around 76/78 degrees. The pleco will be going into a new home in the near future..I'm planning on getting a 55+ gallon tank soon and he will find a home in that once the tank is installed and cycled.....even still, the tank's water parameters are great.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:15 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Did you acclimate?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #5 
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Did you acclimate?
Yes. I "dumped" him and his little cup of water into a bag and let him float around a bit..then I added my tank water to the bag every now and thenuntil the bag sank and he swam out. Not sure if that was the proper way to do it, but I've always done it that way with other fish and never had any issues.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Hm... As Alcemist said, I also think that he's just in stress about the move. He should get better. Or maybe it's because he's still getting used to his tank mates. Your other Betta should be fine since it's living with only 1 other species, while the new Betta is getting used to let's see... 3 other species which include 2 species that involve groups. In conclusion, he's other still adjusting to his new home, the other aquatics in the tank, or both.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #7 
Kenny G

Give him time to adjust to his new surroundings and his new tank-mates. You just got him today. He is used to being by himself and not surrounded by others. Make sure your tank has plenty of plants or decorations so he has someplace to hide until he gets comfortable. More than likely is just a little stress from his new environment and all the activity he is seeing.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #8 
Relic

Will do. I'll just see how things go. He is in a heavily planted tank, so he has plenty of hiding places.
Thanks for the replies, folks!
Old 07-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #9 
Relic

Update:
I woke this morning to find that he is still kickin'. He's still a bit lethargic, but I think he'll be fine. My daughter and I decided to name him Napoleon.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #10 
Kenny G

Great name and I'm am sure the little guy will be fine. It's good he has a home where he will be well cared for.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote