Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #1 
waterloggedd

Bloated beta

Ok, Earlier this week I noticed my year and a half old beta had one side of her belly bloated. I figured I may have just accidently fed her too much, and treated her for it by laying off the food for a couple of days, and feeding her a blanched pea on the third day. Unfortunately, this didn't seem to help. Two days have passed, and now both sides have bloated and she is very pale. The bloat is actually somewhat sever, she's almost twice her normal size. She's laying on the bottom all the time, which is very unusual for her. Anybody have any ideas?

I've got the help form thingy filled out below. If anyone has ideas, I'd be very grateful. Jenny has been my only pet for a while, and I've become rather attached to her...

Housing
What size is your tank? 14gal
What temperature is your tank? 81F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Some plants, no other fish

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Flakes when I'm lazy, otherwise a frozen variety of foods, peas, and the occasional avocado.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once every two to three weeks.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime water conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Yes, using little strips. Don't have exact numbers, but I'll do as good as I can from memory.

Ammonia: low
Nitrite: no testing strips
Nitrate: no testing strips
pH: about neutral
Hardness: A little high
Alkalinity: no testing strips

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? See above
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? See above
When did you start noticing the symptoms? See above
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I tried the pea for bloat, but no luck
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Had popeye once, she recovered just fine
How old is your fish (approximately)? Year and a half.

Thanks again
waterloggedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #2 
cathnbruce

I'm no expert.. but I'm currently treating my fish for a bloat issue and have recieved some really good advice from the people here on this forum.
A picture would help. Can you put one up?

Here is the thread with the pics on my betta, is it similar to this? It also has info on how I am treating it and other suggestions on how to treat it.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107017
cathnbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

Why are you feeding her avocado? I've never heard of that before, and my train of thought is saying that might be a big cause along with the peas for any continued bloating.

Is she pooping or are you unable to see if she is? Also, are her scales sticking outwards?

My best advice would be to stop the avocado all together, stop feeding peas (Why feed something bettas aren't meant to directly ingest when nothing is coming out anyway, in my opinion), and isolate her from the tank.

Treat her with 1 tsp/gal epsom salt that is dissolved in some clean, treated water. While doing this, you'll want her in something small, as well as empty to see if she is pooping and if it is a healthy poop, so that you can change all of the water every day. Re-dose the epsom salt after every water change and be sure to thoroughly dissolve it.

If her scales are sticking out, then I can suggest a different course of treatment as that is something far more serious that constipation.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Why would you feed her avocados? When you feed peas, feed a TINY piece. Both could hurt her. I suggest frozen daphnia and epsom salt. For the epsom salt, the dosage is 1 teaspoon per gallon. Is her bloated area gray? And what do you mean by low ammonia? I hope she gets better. Please stop feeding avocados.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #5 
Kenny G

I must admit I am a little perplexed by feeding avocado's to betta fish. I have researched the internet and have not seen anything to suggest that feed a betta avocado's is a good thing. Did you read that somewhere if so can you provide a link?
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #6 
waterloggedd

I'll try for a picture, but I only have a cell phone camera, and she's hiding in the center of the tank. She's not moving much, but I'll watch for the next time she moves.

Unfortunately, she looked like your Bruce at first, and I did a very similar treatment with the pea. She's now gotten much worse, and has a very uniform swelling over her entire body. In two days she almost doubled in size, went pale and lethargic.

I also saw the conversation about dropsy in the thread you linked to. Her scales aren't really raised like most of the dropsy pictures I've seen, and she's more bloated than most. I'll get a picture up when I can convince her to move.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #7 
waterloggedd

Sorry, missed the last two replies. As for the alvocado, I did read it somewhere, and I'll see if I can find it. For what it's worth, she seems to really enjoy it. It's also been more than a couple months since I had the chance to give her one, so I don't think it would be related to this.

As for the color of the bloated area, I could definitely call it grey. What would that mean?

I'll head out soon and get some Epsom salts for her, and put her in a small tank I have, as Pataflafla suggested. Thanks again everyone for your help, I'll keep you all up on this.

Last edited by waterloggedd; 07-14-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

A gray bloated belly is an early sign of an internal breakdown. (AKA Dropsy) Watch out for swollen eyes, swollen face, and pineconing. I hope she doesn't have it. Get the Epsom salt quickly.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #9 
lvandert

at this point I would bump the treatment to 2 tsp per gallon and slowly introduce it into your tank one gallon at a time (unless you have a gallon hospital tank in which case slowly introduce the whole gallon cup by cup). I would definately drop the avocado from the diet, it's not good for bettas on a regular basis.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #10 
waterloggedd

Here's a picture of Jenny:

She looks a bit red because of the light. She's normally a purple towards blue, her actual color is more dull purple now. Her sides have turned a bit grey in areas.

I've got her in a one gallon hospital tank, with 2tsp of Epsom salts which were slowly introduced over the course of the last two days. She's gotten more lethargic, though the bloating isn't as bad. The epsom salts seem to have helped a bit. If there's any further advice, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks again for all the help, I'd really like to see this poor fish get through this.

Last edited by waterloggedd; 07-16-2012 at 10:50 PM.