Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #11 
TheCrabbyTabby

I have to agree with Aus and unfortunately be a party pooper too.

When breeding anything, its imperative, no mandatory to do mountains of research before hand. Breeding is something that takes a lot of time, dedication and costs a fair bit of money. Just because someone else does it and it looks like fun doesn't automatically make it okay for you to do it too.

Think before you bring a bunch of fish into this world who are ultumately going to suffer and rot in their own filth at someones hand, a someone who knowns next to nothing about betta care. Because chances are, that's where they will wind up. In a vase, a .25 gallon bowl, or worse, as someone's sick idea of a decoration for a wedding.

Think before you go and do something you have absolutely know idea about doing. If you truely want to breed fish, and I mean breed them to better their form, color, or health, then talk to experienced breeders, watch what they do, learn from them. Chances are, they were novices too and they might have valuable knowledge they have gained from their experience that is not in any text book or website. Ask them about a million questions and only after that ONLY AFTER THAT, start to begin to think about how you're going to go about your fish breeding. What lines do you want to enhance? What colors and patterns are you aiming to shoot for?

Also ask yourself these questions too. How well do you know betta genetics? How well do you know the proper betta form for the type of betta your breeding? What are the major NO-NO's to look out for?

Sorry to burst your bubbles guys, but the reality of it is, its not as easy as you think. Sure you CAN get a nice color from a pairing of two substandard betta, but that doesn't mean you should do it.

Just think, please, think before you rush into something your not totally 100% prepared for.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #12 
TheCrabbyTabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creat View Post
Sena: Love your girl she is adorable very patriotic for America lol to bad your canadian :P

bettaboy: Glad you have had good luck and fish dont know your age so its not like it matters :)

Aus: Agreed people should research before even getting a betta let alone breeding. And their are cheap ways to give fish great care (walmart is so my shopping center for diy fish supplies). And I also agree that people who cant care for their pets shouldnt ever consider creating more. But what I am trying to say is I see a lot of you should breed such and such pair cause their ugly or wouldnt have good form or color etc. and I think that is wrong.

So your suggesting breeding two fish with poor flaws and possibly poor genetics with each other to produce yet more poor deformed fish is okay? O_o!
Old 07-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #13 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creat View Post
Disclosure: This rant isnt directed at anyone or group in particular. I dont want yelling or hate but its just something I have noticed.

Breeding betta used to be more of a free for all and if your heart was in the right place you were fine. But recently I have noticed that all over the web not just here people are saying that if you dont have a perfect pair you shouldnt even bother and if you do your a bad person. I want to point out that most good breeders started out with some not so good fish. I know that I personally bred a vt to a hm lol but would I do it again yes. I think long time breeders can be rude to first time breeders and can make them feel like what they want to do is wrong. I understand not wanting to flood the market wit second rate fish and that its hard to find good homes etc. But we could never have gotten that far without second rate fish. Just because someone wants to or cant afford perfect fish to breed dosent mean that they shouldnt. It is rather disheartening to see those types of comments on here or anywhere for that matter. I think if someone is willing to work hard and will keep the babies or find good homes I think they should. Its the same thing that happened in the dog world. Dog showing has become so elite and secluded that if you dont have perfect lines or a perfect dog you shouldnt even bother. What happened to the fun and the thrill of it? Why shouldnt everyone get to experience something like that? I guess I am confused as to why people say no when someone else's fish arent "perfect". I guess I am trying to say we should encourage doing something you love then discouraging it. Thats how most strains ended up was believing dedication and not following strict guidlines of the idea of perfect.
I wanted to breed two of my CT's but since they are petstore betta's they aren't really worthy of it even though a few people are interested in the fry
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #14 
Creat

TheCrabbyTabby: Deformed no. But what one person sees and ugly someone else might think is beautiful. Just like some countries prefer longer anal fins on hm versus even all the way around. I have said I think people should research before, never said they shouldnt I think its crucial but if their goal is to breed their favorite male and female together should they not? (If they are prepared for housing the babies, care, etc.) Because then more then half the people breeding on this forum have made big no no's.

xShainax: You should breed whomever you want to but if your hearts not in it dont do it. Thats what I think.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #15 
xShainax

My hearts into it but I can't buy microworms lol
Old 07-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #16 
Creat

Its okay I cant hatch bbs for the life of me
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #17 
xShainax

I would feed them first bites but I read that they are too big
Old 07-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #18 
TheCrabbyTabby

Do you have the room and ability to keep 100 fish? That means changing 100 tanks of water on a weekly basis if not more, feeding 100 fish daily or twice daily, treating/medicating 100 fish for a possible outbreak of a disease, and buying 100 tanks in the first place.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #19 
TheCrabbyTabby

I can hatch BBS, and even grow them to adults, but I don't want breed. Mostly because I know I can't afford it or have the room, or have proper breeding stock.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #20 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Thanks Creat. I've noticed this place is going crazy with everything. As long as you know what you're doing you're fine, who cares if you're breeding pet store fish VT mutt things? I know Sakura is planning a VT spawn, and I can't imagine anyone telling her not to do it (because, you know, she has an electric catfish- scary ).
Looking back I miss those cute VT spawn logs with their owners writing down every little detail of what happened every day. We just don't get those anymore. o-o It's all about the destination, not the journey, these days.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote