Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2012, 11:36 PM   #21 
Creat

xShainax: Mine are so fussy they wont eat it, very few spawns will, I have tried they look and me and go 'feed me properly or I will starve myself HA'

TheCrabbyTabby: Personally yes I do but thats because I have collected over time. Do other people probably not, but then I think not many breeders do. Many are realistic about 1/2 of 100 will be female so then only 50, males will need to be jarred but thats if they survive. Most spawns I encounter, except very large professional ones, are about 60.

Olympia: I miss those logs to I think many new breeders are discouraged because their pairs arent "perfect".
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #22 
xShainax

I would be curious to see what breeding Leo my VT with one of my girls would look like but alas, I am too chicken to
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #23 
Aus

Quote:
if their goal is to breed their favorite male and female together should they not? (If they are prepared for housing the babies, care, etc.) Because then more then half the people breeding on this forum have made big no no's.
If people have all the right gear and info and a pair of fish that aren't deformed or sickly, and they're prepared for repairing adult fish after possible fights, etc and have somewhere for the fry to go that isn't dinky little pet store cups (not all pet stores keep their fish horribly!) then -- why not?

There's more than a few pet store bettas I've drooled over on this site, and would not say no to a fry from. Also, some wonderful fish with pet store parents. Lovely, healthy, vibrant bettas, I'd buy one in a blink.

But then look at who breeds them, and how much care and dedication they put in...
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:38 PM   #24 
TheCrabbyTabby

Breeding veiltales is highly frowned upon. They are the mutts of the betta world and have nothing to contribute genetically to better the betta as a fish.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:42 PM   #25 
Creat

xShainax: Hey if you care for the fry or cull hard why not? But I think everything is up to the owner.

Aus: Agreed :)

TheCrabbyTabby: VT maybe common house hold betta but they are not mutts they have a form but not many people work on perfecting it. I actually have a side project that I am starting where I am planning on breeding a better vt.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:45 PM   #26 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yea, culling is another option. Don't freak out, tons of "good" breeders will cull out an entire spawn except the 1-2 fish that suits their needs.

Creat, so glad someone else here actually appreciated those spawn logs. Sometimes I want to breed just to go through all the dramas of those spawn logs. If I ever get my mouthbrooders I will definitely have an awesome spawn log for them. :)

And TheCrabbyTabby: Why do you say that? I'm seriously curious.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:47 PM   #27 
xShainax

Leo is a very interesting color, it would be awesome to see if the fry will cme out his color
Old 07-14-2012, 11:49 PM   #28 
Sena Hansler

Point of cheap: 17.8 gallon tub for 6.00 wal-mart style I may use it for a grow out. A decent, grow out.

Creat: patriotic... D'OH! >< I need to find a red and white (to which I say...I shall die for hahaha) ooo imagine red and white -drools-

BIG EDIT: I have a great VEILTAIL female who I bred. I resulted in a possible combtail/ct baby, from her and my CT Ricky. I dislike the term "mutts" mind as well say "useless disgrace" because for some reason that comes to mind when I hear mutts My VT had fairly even finnage, a good bodyline - the male has a bit short of a caudal, so using VT actually increases finnage length (bwaha! a method to my madness...)

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 07-14-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:50 PM   #29 
xShainax

I have soo many empty tubs lying around >.<
Old 07-14-2012, 11:54 PM   #30 
Sena Hansler

Hey Shaina! If and when I get microworms, would you like me to send you a bit, free of charge? Least I could do :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote