Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2012, 11:20 PM   #51 
Aus

Quote:
Are you afraid that VT's would become extinct?
Heck no. They're mass-bred for the pet store market.

But that's exactly the problem, and probably why the US IBC won't touch them (I wonder, though, how they're dealing with all the 'mutt' halfmoons flooding the stores now...)

And because they're mass-bred and so little care goes into it all, there's a lot of sickly fish that end up being problems for their eventual owners (like my pet store HM.. but I digress..)

Having very sound/perfect finned VT's available, that are "European show-bred" would be a vast encouragement to get health AND tail type back to a good standard.

And it'd give us VT-lovers a bit more choice about the fish we buy...

(as an aside, Mr. V - there's a new betta owner with a very nice spade tail here.. )

Last edited by Aus; 07-14-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:21 PM   #52 
MrVampire181

I actually have an orange VT male. Just gotta get a girl for him. I'm working towards bettas4all standards. Maybe something will come out of it. I'm thinking of crossing him to a 2 ray trad PK from my multi metallic spawn... that'll throw some lookers.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:22 PM   #53 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

The difference between dogs and fish is, hullo, all those health tests for dogs.
No betta breeder runs health tests on their fish. Fish are bred for looks and looks only. So, breed the look you like.
And I never got why everyone should breed show stock. Most of us will never go near an IBC show. Most people are just after pet quality anyways.
I get why people breed for show- it's more of a challenge. I guess it can also be a huge confidence boost.
Know what you are doing and have fun.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:25 PM   #54 
xShainax

An orange betta? I have seen one and it was a creamsicle
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:29 PM   #55 
Creat

Mr.V : that sounds cool I was going to mix my nice mustard gas vt female with a good male if i find one and cross to a hm of mine to see if i can get nicer spread and length.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:31 PM   #56 
Aus

Nothing wrong with pet quality! All mine are pet store fish. I have just learned to pick and choose with my head, not my heart alone, and pass by the ones bound to prove sickly long-term. Healthy fish are a joy to keep.

I have found a pet store that keep its fish nicely, bettas in barracks, and has healthy, good-looking fish so if I get any new splendens it'll be from there.

They had nice true green fish last I was there.. and omg, the VT's.. I don't think I had ever seen a good example of one in person, until I saw those.

ETA: Ooh, Mr. V.. pics?
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:31 PM   #57 
Sincerely

Haha! Definitely true about the health tests, I have even done that with Anna and she gets flying colors across the board.

Fish have health issues too, bent/deformed spines, short bodies and ocular impairments in dragonscales. I would never breed a betta with a deformed spine because that would be inherited into the next generation at a higher rate. But of course they wouldn't test for genetic diseases, how would you test for it anyways? It would be a pain to get a blood sample from a betta or get an x-ray LOL

I love breeding for show, its just my hobby because it gives me a goal I can go towards. I love having goals, it keeps me focused. But you are right, the majority of people want a good-lookin pet, that's what my friends want. They don't know what a breeding quality betta looks like and if I begin to talk about the conformation of bettas they look at me like I have grown a second head.

Last edited by Sincerely; 07-14-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Sincerely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:33 PM   #58 
xShainax

Like I said, with me being autistic, my fish have been my constant companions and I am confident enough to move onto something else besides platies and mollies
Old 07-14-2012, 11:36 PM   #59 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yep. I'm sure most people would rather pay $10 for a long anal fin halfmoon, than $20 for a nice halfmoon (that's being nice too), if everything else is equal.

Aus- I tried choosing a sickly looking fish once. I ended up with my Reuben, a 2.5-3 inch veil tail who is unstoppable. Those darned mall fish. xD
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:38 PM   #60 
xShainax

What about Combtails?