Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #61 
Aus

Ha, Olympia! That was good luck, glad to hear you got a good one from it.

Sadly, my two less than sound boys (from the same manky store) proved to have just too many problems to thrive. One has passed away - he was my first betta - and the other is .. well. He's alive. Problem after problem.. poor lil feller. He's just weedy and sickly, and that's what he is. But we love him all the same, just it's taught me to pick and choose to avoid that heartbreak.. and avoid supporting bad stores/ bad breeders who produce fish with so little chance of ever thriving..
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:23 AM   #62 
magnum

I agree, so many people ( not on this forum) have turned me off breeding, simply because I have pet store variety fish. If anything I would love to breed my fish and sell the young betta's at my local market, where people can get proper education about how to treat them, instead of getting the Pet Store advice from the muppets that work there.
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:42 AM   #63 
Aus

Muppets!

It's my favourite term for them.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:53 AM   #64 
magnum

Same! After all, they are less than proficient at there jobs.
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:19 AM   #65 
BeckyFish97

Haha legend!so true!

What I say is there is nothing wrong with breeding petstore betta's, but getting to your goals will be harder in the long run, and although I imported a male and a female, I wouldn't mind a bit of hard work either :)
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #66 
Creat

magnum: I think you would do just fine breeding your babies. After all I think if you love the parents you ought to love the babies.

Just because all you can do is breed pet store fish I think that if properly infomed and dedicated it is just fine.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #67 
Ilikebutterflies

The bottom line is if you can't find a market for your fish you will stop breeding them because you are stuck with them. It is no more or no less cruel than culling them as fry to euthanize them as adults. It is like any other livestock. Of course, if you are breeding purely for yourself just to see what you get then the rules don't apply to you. Do what you wish. If you intend on selling your product then it is the wise thing to do to breed quality ONLY because the there are high quality fish widely available and as a consumer I can promise you that I am spending my money on the pretty or rare fish. I can do this because of the wide variety available to me. It's our nature to do that.

So, as long as you are ready to do right by the lives you create then don't worry about it.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #68 
Sena Hansler

Shaina: Combtails can be F2 or F3 bred =D I bred my VT lady to my CT, and I think I have a shaggy VT from it

However I will note, watching people look at bettas they tend to go "Oh look! This guy has spikes..." to the shaggy VTs. I think if you give someone the right colors, and right even look, they'll buy it. I bought "Candy" my CT because her colors jumped out more than the dark blue gal. I bought El Dorado because well...he was gold! Even if being VTs, they have to have the more rare, unique or awesome colors people love.

My suggestion to breeding: Ask around. Do a small poll if you must, in your area. WHO likes bettas? WHO would buy? And WHAT colors do they love or would like to see? Here, orange is coming back (yessss!!), flawless red is loved, baby blue, purple, black, white, and marble (or koi) is most loved too I got my game plan haha.

Y'know, for those not breeding super-awesome-could-be-in-shows bettas... Don't overprice the fry. If you have 8, alright. If you have 20, alright. I have all my supplies, haven't needed to spend more than 6.00 on the last one (for leaves I never received >:( ) but it allowed me to learn my female may have "bad eggs" or whatever. I got one fry, who I'm keeping... But for future fry, I intend to beat store prices for my bettas, to get known. My CTs may end up 4.00
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #69 
Ilikebutterflies

+1 Sena

I plan on pricing my fry dirt cheap just to move them into great homes. I am working on projects for my own enjoyment so of course my best fish aren't going anywhere. Hopefully, if we all did this we could muscle places like Wal-Mart right out of the betta business.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #70 
Aus

Quote:
Even if being VTs, they have to have the more rare, unique or awesome colors people love.
My local LFS (not the manky one where I got my sickly boys!) recently had a dragonscale VT.. which was the most beautiful pale gold, almost ivory, just a little touch of gold under the white. Hard to describe, but he really caught my eye! Amazing fins, too. And another -huge- scarlet/black VT with the biggest, billowiest fins I have ever seen on one, simply stunning.

They also had a true green CT that Daughter is still wailing about, as we simply cannot take care of any more fish, with the strohi coming.

But if the 8 gallon had been spare that day...

Whoever is breeding these bettas and supplying the store is not the average fish mill farmer or 'throw-em-together' BYB. These are -quality- pet fish. I'd have paid good money for that gold VT, having never seen one like it. Makes me happy to see bettas like that in a pet store.