Betta Fish Forum banner

Is this just torn fins?

743 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Kittykat7 
#1 ·
I'm going to cross post this here just in case...

I feel so sad... I just noticed that my betta has some torn fins. At least I hope it is just torn fins. I had some pointy plants in his tank (I never even thought that he could get caught in them). I have removed the plastic plants and added some live plants. Will his fins repair?

Here is a couple of pictures of him...

I believe this plant was the culprit...

Sorry for the picture quality... he is super camera shy. He is absolutely beautiful and I am so sad that his fins tore.

Just thought I should add this as well....

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? 76-78
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Air stone and undergravel filter
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Aquarium snail.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta flakes and brine shrimp.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Roughly half.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Torn fins.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Swimming on the bottom a little more. He is still active though.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning I noticed a small piece of fin hanging on and then noticed he had a few spots missing.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? I bought him in May, not sure how old he was when I bought him.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Torn fins will grow back so do not worry. When they do they sometimes will have a whitish edge or streaks. Just keep his water clean and try adding Bettafix to his water. Some in this forum are against using it. Research it for yourself online and do what you feel is best for your betta. I used it when my betta Junior started tail biting and he is fine and his tail fins are going back nicely. Regarding decorations for your tank do the pantyhose test. Rub them against the pantyhose if it pull or tears then remove the decorations. Your second option is use silk plants which are a little more expensive. But when is doubt do the pantyhose test.

#5 ·
Thank you. I was really worried about his fins even though I know they will grow back it still makes me sad it happened. I will look into bettafix. The pantyhose test sounds good, I will have to do that from now on. I was thinking about adding silk plants since I just noticed today that my local Petco has some really nice ones. It's a shame too because his tank looked really awesome with the fake plants in it. Oh well though the health of Cubie is far more important.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.