Betta Fish Forum banner

Ammonia Remover works?

530 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  hannguyen 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I managed to get my Betta a new 5 gals tank! I heard that you have to recycle the tank before puting Betta in but I have no clue how to do it. I read the sticky post but it was kinda confusing because it doesn't say steps by steps how to do it! I want to do it fishless because I don't want to stress my betta out since I only have him for 2 weeks so far now.
So if I don't cycle my tank, can I use Ammonia remover from pet store instead? And If its not as good then how can I cycle my tank fishless? I've been looking to find ammonia but there is no where to buy 100% ammonia and using food would take up to 8 weeks, I think!

Thank everyone !!!! :p:p:p:p:p:p

#2 ·
What kind of ammonia remover do you mean? Like API Ammo Lock or the granular zeolite that you can use instead of carbon?

What I would suggest is you make sure you have a testing kit of some sort to monitor the ammonia. Plan on doing 50% water changes a week but for the first week, test the ammonia every day. This will help you get an idea of how long it takes for the ammonia to build to a toxic level and let you know if you need to do twice weekly water changes.

You can cycle a 5 gal but in all reality, just keeping up on the water changes is the best way to keep your fish healthy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.