betta fish

Old 07-15-2012, 02:42 AM   #21 
xShainax

My life too. I think "I am my fish's only chance of survival."
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:44 AM   #22 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have limited vision but it doesn't interfere with my fishkeeping.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:55 AM   #23 
Catfish Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
41! Good lands, that's high! Wow, I'm glad you are okay now. :)

My fish (and cats) give me a reason to get up each morning. If I feel down, I think "I have to get through today. If not for me, then for them." And it works. In their own fishy and furry ways, my pets have probably saved my life many times.
+1 I think I may have had "Childhood Depression" last year and the beginning of this year but not any more. :)
Catfish Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #24 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I thought I had problems .... Aus, we sort of share the same boat. But my problem is in the lower spine and blood flow issues. I know I should give up driving because my legs are slowly giving up on me, but me being me..... I never let anything stop me from doing what I want or need to do.

Wow 41??? I literally can't even sit straight at 39. Everything around me seemed like spinning - that was due to typhus, not my current problem. Well, I'm glad you're ok now.

Keeping pets - namely bettas has helped me (at least) stay sane.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #25 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Just wanna say, I really admire all you guys, not letting any sort of disability get in your way of the awesomest things ever.. Betta!
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #26 
Calypso77

I think it is Very easy to misunderstand what and how someone is saying something on a forum. It happens a lot. I did not take what CrabbyTabby was saying as being pointed at any one person on here. just a complete misunderstanding of what she was saying.
Calypso77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #27 
SpookyTooth

I've had severe chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephelopathy for the last eight years and took on betta keeping (with some apprehension, though I love bettas) in the hope that I would be able to redirect my focus, I also felt ready to take on the responsibility and thought bettas were the right choice. There was the added bonus of gradually working up my physical strength through water changes etc. I have my mother on-hand if I'm having a "bad day" and she is more than willing to help me with water changes should I struggle, I will always be grateful to her for her support.

So far I've not done too badly, I've had days where I've thought it would be wisest to rehome the fish but at the same time just sitting and watching them is more than enough to reassure me that I can take care of them... and I have been! It's so wonderful watching something you chose to bring into your home and your heart thrive under your care. They never judge you, they never shout at you if you find you can't brush your teeth or wash your hair, they don't honestly care about all the trauma, frustration and pain you feel -- they're just there to brighten your day and you're there to brighten theirs (even if it's just because you feed them!). I don't know of many greater joys (whether due to under exposure to the world or because I find joy in the simpler things) than pouring your heart and soul into an animal enclosure and watching its inhabitants (both flora and fauna) burst into life and thank you through their bright colours, vivid personalities and hilarious antics!

Of course I wouldn't recommend fishkeeping nor other animal/plant keeping to everyone who has an unfortunate circumstance, but I don't feel that people should be disallowed to care for these animals because of circumstance either. It's purely down to the individual to decide whether they are ready to handle all aspects of animal/plant keeping (mental and physical) and it is down to them to follow through with that responsibility.

I often find that when my heart has chosen something my body follows. Sure, I sometimes suffer the consequences and end up in immense amounts of pain but in all honesty that is all worth it when I look at the aquarium at the end of my bed and see those little fish dancing around and flaring at random bubbles. I make sure they're fed, they're warm, they're occupied and they're kept clean. That's all I can do for them but it sure feels good!
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #28 
xShainax

I recommend succulents when people ask what's the easiest to take care of. I have an 8 year old prickly pear
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #29 
betta lover1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
I'm the exact opposite. The filter drives me nuts so I have to use earplugs.
it drives me crazy that i HAVE to turn off the filter at night i know i know i shouldn't do that
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #30 
TheCrabbyTabby

Turning off the filter really messes with the BB or beneficial bacteria. You need BB to keep your tank cycled and consume the transform the harmful ammonia into nitrates, and then into nitrites. Or was it nitrites into nitrates? Anyways, letting the filter be off all night kills off the BB and your tank is essentially out of whack and needs to recycled by morning. This causes untold stress on the tank inhabitants, and can even kill them.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote