Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #1 
FallenMurphy

Tank Chemistry

I have been setting up my tank and letting it cycle so when I decide to get a new betta the tank it all ready. I was doing a fishless cycle with clear ammonia, but got busy with work that I wasn't adding it in everyday. I was testing the water and my ammonia was at .25ppm, but my nitrite was a 5.0 and nitrate is at 80 ppm. I've done 25% water changes, but still no changes. Should I replace my filter and do a 100% water change and start over or is there a way I can get those levels down. I have been adding betta safe water condition to it each time I do a water change.
FallenMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

How big is the tank, water temp, type of substrate, any live plants, type of filter and filter media care, what type of testing products used and have you tested your source water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, high/low pH.....type of additives used and how long has the tank been running.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #3 
FallenMurphy

I have a 5 gal hex tank with gravel and fake plants. I have the fiters system that came with it and a bio wheel. It's a mainland tank. I have a API Mater test kit and the tank has been running for a little over a month
Old 07-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Have you cleaned the filter media and the filter is running all the time...correct...

Have you tested your source water.....
What is your pH on both the tank and source water and water temp

Any other additives used beside the dechlorinator.....

Did you shake, bang on the table and shake some more on the #2 nitrate reagent...it tends to settle and will give skewed readings....as well as the time-lines between drops, shaking the test tube and reading the results...As well as proper test tube cleaning between test.....Your nitrate shouldn't be that high....unless you have nitrate in the source water or some additives can cause this or user error in the testing.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:52 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

All good advice from OldFishLady.

You could make it easy and just dump all the water and start over. Any nitrifying bacteria you may have accumulated will remain in the tank and filter. There is very little in the water column. When in doubt, change the water.

OFL is also right about the testing procedure for nitrate. It is fussy, but usually not critical. It is, after all, only nitrate. You can water-change it away, any time. Complete shaking will probably give you a lower nitrate reading.

Carefully, with pliers, pull the dropper part out of the #2 Nitrate test bottle. Put in a pea-sized glass bead or pebble. This will turn it into a rattlecan...makes shaking a lot easier and more thorough.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #6 
FallenMurphy

Thanks I tested it again and the numbers are dropping. I have noticed with #2 nitrate that the drops do come out a little quicker and it is possible that I have more reactant then I should.

I so shake the test tubes and let them settle before reading the results.

Thanks again hopefully things will balance out in my tank.