Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2012, 01:36 AM   #11 
MrVampire181

That does SO much damage to the little guys its insane.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:42 AM   #12 
Sakura8

I can only imagine. Or rather, I don't want to imagine it. :(
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:19 AM   #13 
TheCrabbyTabby

I have a baby. Its been a little over 24 hours and he is still alive. He is roughly the size of a 7-9 week old betta (used the picture on the BettaTalk website for reference). I named him Squishy til I could get more of a feel for his coloring and temperament.

I feed him a few pellets of New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula every morning and evening and even dropped in a little bit of bloodworm for him this afternoon as a treat. I am currently hatching out some baby brine shrimp for him.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #14 
Sam I Am

I have successfully raised one baby betta, I have 2 who I would say are "juveniles", old enough to be sexed but still small and developing colors/fins, and three babies. I tend to do very well with them.

I keep their tanks at about 80 degrees, sometimes a degree or two warmer than that (I don't have a heater in the tanks currently, I'm in HOT Iowa and our A/C is only so-so), but I do monitor the temps several times per day. For food I've found that the Hikari (I think that's the brand) small bites work the best for the little guys. Once their mouths are big enough I give them the Aqueon betta pellets all my other bettas get (I will just randomly try a pellet in the tanks when it appears their mouths might be big enough).

I have found that they tend to get stressed when given too big of a tank when they're so little. I keep my little guys in a half gallon unfiltered tank. Once they get a little bigger and a little stronger I will move them to a bigger tank with filter. In the meantime, I just change water every day. It's easy to do in a half gallon and I do try to minimize stress by using my hand to "cup" them and they put them in a little cup to change the water. When changed I just place the little cup on it's side in the tank and let them swim out on their own.

They really are a lot of fun to watch them grow, change colors (I think all of mine have turned out to be completely different than what I originally thought they would be), and grow fins. I love to guess what kind of bettas they will be (I'm usually proved wrong). :) Good luck and have fun! Don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions.
Sam I Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:27 PM   #15 
lilyrazen

I just read through all the replies, and I'm considering getting one. The only thing is that I've always been bad with the girls, and I don't know why, so I'm nervous about getting one for fear of it being a girl.

Don't get me wrong, I love girl bettas, I just always seem to do something wrong.
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #16 
Sakura8

Hmm. You can get one and post pics of it with its ventrals showing. That way I (or MrV) can tell if it's a guy or girl. If it's a girl, you can always return her.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #17 
TheCrabbyTabby

I can just see that going down at Petco.

"Excuse me? Mr. (or Ms.) Employee person? Can I get another baby betta? This one is a girl and I was hoping for a boy instead."

O.o
Old 07-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #18 
Sakura8

I guess it's better a conversation like that takes place in a pet store and not a delivery room. XD
Old 07-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #19 
TheCrabbyTabby

So true!
Old 07-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #20 
lilyrazen

I might swing by Petco tomorrow. If I can find one that's definitely a boy, I'll probably grab him. I'm sort of nervous, having a $20 in my pocket and room for three bettas...
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote