Housing
What size is your tank? 8 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes, airstone
Is your tank heated? No, I live it Florida, it maintains 80 on it's own
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta pellet, occasionally freeze-dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every 2 weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress coat/aquarium salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I had it tested at the pet store yesterday and was told the ammonia was high but that it was okay for a tank still cycling, no good I know :/

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Patches of scales missing, white patch under gills/under chin
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Spitting out food more than usual, but other than that completely normal
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 days ago after switching to a new tank
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? One dose of pimafix but immediate stopped once I noticed him bloating
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No, but he does beat himself up occasionally on the tank
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him for 3 months, so fairly young still

When I posted earlier, I had noticed the white patch under his chin/gills within hours of putting him in the new tank. Previously he was in a 1.5 gallon tank in spring water. I took the water up to have it tested and was told that the ammonia was a little high but Roy would be fine ince the tank was almost done cycling. However, I think it may be too late, as today he's developed slight bloat. I haven't seen him poop lately, so it could be stress related constipation, but with all the other symptoms, I'm leaning more toward ammonia poisoning.

I'm assuming I need to get him in a smaller hospital tank soon, but what do you recommend for a QT? A little of the old water and a little new? Do I need to medicate?

It's breaking my heart...
roysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:03 AM   #2 
Aus

Clean water - but acclimate him in a cup to it, and dose with epsom salt for the bloat as prescribed in the sticky thread at top of this forum.

If you have a tupperware container or something at a gallon or so, that'll do since you're in Florida and the temp is high anyway. One gallon will make it easier to measure epsom. Just make sure it's rinsed very well indeed if it's been washed with detergent.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #3 
roysmama

Thank you for the quick reply! Since posting the bloat has subsided and I've done a 25% water change in the main tank.

The scales that were missing on his back are healing well too so I'm guessing he got in a fight with his decor again, I'll be sure to remove that one.

Do you think I should just keep doing daily 25% changes in the main or is QT still the best option?
Old 07-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #4 
lvandert

yes keep up with the water changes. I also think you need to rethink your water changing schedule. 30% every two weeks for an 8 gallon really isn't the best it could be. I would bump that up to every week 50% or higher.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #5 
roysmama

Thank you, i'll definitely up the water changes
Old 07-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #6 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysmama View Post
Thank you, i'll definitely up the water changes
Keep us updated :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote