Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #1 
craiger75

Question Swapping Out Gravel for Substrate

I want to start this as my eventual "final" project for my tank. Just wondering if any of the heavy hitters on here had any advice about it. I know it's going to end up a gravel/substrate mix, so is there any particular brand substrate or type I should be looking for?

I know I read this can be dangerous to the fish but it wasn't explained why that would be the case. Other than falling rocks I don't really see the problem. Is it a change in water quality, or something else?
craiger75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #2 
vilmarisv

Gravel is ok but... What you you mean when you say substrate?
Substrate is pretty much anything you use as your aquarium floor.
What I don't recomend is using large pebbles as substrate. When they are heavy and leave gaps between rocks, bettas can get stuck in between the rocks. Bettas like to poke their heads where they aren't supposed to.
You can put gravel or sand as your substrate and use the large rocks as decorations making sure they are not touching the sides of the tank or eachother.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #3 
craiger75

Hey Vil! What do I mean by substrate? The stuff I should've used in the first place, if I was going to keep live plants - lol!

Something like this, this is actually what I'm thinking of going with:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753891"]http://http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753891[/url]

Second link - first one doesn't work.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #4 
MyRainbowBettaFish

If you plan on changing WHILE having an aquarium running, it would jack up your cycle because that is where all the beneficial bacteria lives :)
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #5 
vilmarisv

Sounds good. Be aware that this will cloud your water like crazy, I mean brown water. You need to be patient and wait until it clears up. Don't have fish or any live creatures in there while waiting for your water to clear, keep running your filter and rinse lightly every day.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #6 
craiger75

Rainbow - Oh okay, I thought it might be a ph thing. I read the bacteria live in the filter. If I'm only doing a little at a time, it shouldn't be too much of an issue then - thx!

Vil - Yeah, I've read that too, so water clouding's the issue. I was also thinking Laterite, which turns it red ... lol. Alrite, thx again, I'll read what I'm putting down in there before I do it.

Last edited by craiger75; 07-15-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #7 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiger75 View Post
Oh okay, I thought it might be a ph thing. I read the bacteria live in the filter. If I'm only doing a little at a time, it shouldn't be too much of an issue then - thx!
Yep a little(very small amount) should do a drastic change, but it will affect the aquarium. Beneficial bacteria live not only in the substrate(sand,gravel,rocks,plant substrate,soil) but also in the filter contents and the filter itself.
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote