Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #1 
LittleWatty

New Rescue with Inflamed Gills

Just got back from Petco. Wasn't planning on getting another Betta, but once I saw this guy, I couldn't resist. There were prettier ones that I would have rather bought, but as I said... once I saw him, I couldn't resist. And I don't even like halfmoons! (though he almost looks borderline halfsun)

Anyway, I'm fairly certain at least one of his gills is inflamed. I tried doing a bit of research to see what all I might need, but it was hard on my phone, and I didn't want to leave and risk someone looking for a pretty betta for a vase would buy him while I was gone. I did find that clean water, aquarium salt, and possibly ampicillin (though I've heard that's a double edged sword?). I have aquarium salt, and I can keep his water clean easily enough, but I was wondering if there's anything else I can do for him? He doesn't have any gill flukes as far as I can see.
Attached Images

LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #2 
lvandert

get him some stress coat. it's fairly cheap and does wonders for sick bettas. It just makes them feel better, like hot soup for a cold type feel better. It'll also replace the slime coat on him to make sure he doesn't get any more sick
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #3 
LittleWatty

Yep, got the API StressCoat. Its the water conditioner I normally use XD

I'm starting to think that, because of how far it sticks out, it might not be inflamed gills? But more of a deformity or an accident that damaged the gill cover? The color of the gill on the open side is the same as on the closed side, so I don't know. He's not clamped, he's not having any trouble swimming, but he's not eating (which I know is normal for new bettas).

My friend really likes him, so I'll probably be keeping him and watching the condition of his gills for about 4 months, until she can take care of him herself. I like him, but I don't love him. Not yet anyway XD I'm not a huge fan of half moons. Still, I'll probably let her take him once she can.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #4 
lvandert

that might be. I would do exactly what your doing lol. good luck with the little guy!
Old 07-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #5 
LittleWatty

Here's a picture of the poor fella, as of a couple hours ago (when he was still being acclimated). His colors are really pretty, but not my cup of tea. Still, I'm a sucker for rescues XD
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #6 
lvandert

lol rescues get me too lol. I got a dragon scale HMPK from petsmart half off because he was a sick little thing. He ended up being my best fishy (breeder quality wise). He was the father of my last spawn. I had the perfect female for him to balance out the few flaws he did have. lol He is a very pretty salamander HM though!
Old 07-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #7 
LittleWatty

The picture doesn't show it at all, but he's got a turquoise-y blue iridescence on his fins and body. He is very pretty, which is the reason I wanted to rescue him over a steel colored HMPK, another HM, or a delta. That gill cover made me pity him, and he was pretty enough to try and save.

Worst part was, there was a half dead betta with SBD, and my friend of course grabbed the cup, went over to a worker, and said "This fish is dying" so he took it away >.< I don't think they ever did anything with it. Just put it out of reach above some of the other tanks.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #8 
lvandert

:( poor fish
Old 07-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #9 
LittleWatty

I know, right? If I had any experience with SBD, I might have tried to take him. But... yeah. I wasn't going to spend the money on something I knew I wouldn't be able to save :(
Old 07-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #10 
LittleWatty

I got him to eat two pellets this morning, which is a relief. However, he does do something I'm rather unsure about. He seems to like floating on the top. Its not SBD (at least, I don't think it is) because he doesn't have any trouble at all swimming around, and he can sink himself to the bottom too. The only thing I can think of (other than SBD, which I hope its not. No bloat or anything), is that his muscles are so weak from being in that cup for so long. No room to swim, no room to develop the strength to swim.

Just so no one yells at me later, here's that form XD

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78-80F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? New Life Spectrum pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day (Attempting) with two pellets. Will eventually up to 3 or 4 when he can stomach them.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Will be doing about every day or so, depending on parameters.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20%-50% with the occasional 100%, based on water condition
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stresscoat and Aquarium salt.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Out of tap readings:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
pH: 7.4-7.6
Hardness: n/a (I've heard its very hard)
Alkalinity: n/a

(for the next part, keep in mind I've had him for less than 24 hours)
Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Hasn't - but he has one gill cover sticking out quite a distance. (see pictures in original post)
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Don't know if it has, but he lets himself float at the top of the tank. Not on his side or anything, but he just kind'a sits there and doesn't move anything.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning. (7/16/12)
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Just AQ salt for precaution
Does your fish have any history of being ill? None that I know of
How old is your fish (approximately)? Purchased 7/15/12 from Petco, so I have no clue.

Last edited by LittleWatty; 07-16-2012 at 08:44 AM.