Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #1 
Eiyer

Icky FIsh

Hi, I'm having my first case of Ick. I have 4 fish in my 10 gallon fish tank (I know, lots of people will call that bad, but I love fish and I can't afford my 55 gallon like I want :D) Anyway, I have a BIG gold fish, not sure why he is so big, but he has been acting a little tired the past few days. He LOVES swimming around all over the tank all day and picking up and spitting our the rocks, but since he has been acting tired, he still swims around just fine, except every once in a while he'll stop and float around for a few seconds, like he is trying to catch his breath. When I went to bed last night, he had no signs of Ick, when I woke up this morning, his fins were completely covered, so I instantly went to the store and bought some Jungles Ick Clear Fizz Tabs.

He is the only fish in my tank with Ick, and I have 2 baby Goldfish and a couple year old Betta. So I'm not real sure why he is the only one experiencing Ick, unless adding the new baby goldfish last week done it. I'm not sure if I'm doing it right, but it said I needed to remove Active Carbon from my filter, and since the filter has built in Active Carbon, there is currently no filter. I still have the Filter Machine plugged up and it is circulating water, but how long do I need to leave the filter cartridge out? They are Aqua-Tech Ez-Change filter cartridges for 5-15 gallon tanks.

Also, my Betta has been acting strange for the past couple months. I think it is due to age since he still seems healthy, and he still eats just fine. All he does all day long is lay down under his little bridge decoration I have in the tank. When he hears me open the lid to feed, he'll rush up to the top of the water to eat. And a few times a day he'll do a few laps around the tank, but other than that, he only sleeps or lays under the Bridge. Any idea why?
Eiyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #2 
Maura

If you have the betta in with the goldfish, one of them is either too cold or too warm. Bettas and goldfish are not really compatible for that reason.

Anyways, please fill this out:

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

Please rehome the goldfish, even small ones produce tons of ammonia. Are they a fantail or a comet? They need a bigger tank. Separate everyone and keep the the goldfish in a 30 gallon tank. Goldfish are better in colder waters because in warmer water, they need more food which means more poo.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #4 
lvandert

ok well first off 4 fish in a 10 gallon isn't bad, just your choice of fish is a no no. Gold fish are cold water fish and need a 55 or bigger. bettas are tropical and NEED temperatures between 78 and 82 degrees F. From the sounds of it your big fish needs a new home, and your babies will too eventually.
Did you quarantine the new fish?
What do you feed them all?
How often do you do a water change? and what % is it?
Are there any snails in the tank?
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:38 PM   #5 
Eiyer

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon, I want a 55, but can't afford it.
What temperature is your tank? Not sure. I try to keep it cool to the touch.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? It does not, I want one, I've just been hoping the Filter water falling in would put in enough Oxygen.
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? A large Gold Fish.

They all eat Tetrafin Goldfish Flakes.

The Goldfish and my Betta have lived happily together for almost a whole year with no symptoms or signs of illness.

My Betta has been acting old now for about 2 months. he's been acting strange ever since my Creek Minnow died...like it broke his heart :(. He doesn't act sick, as he still eats, and he'll still swim whenever he feels like it. He'll race around the tank every once in a while like he is doing laps, then just goes back into his hole to rest.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #6 
Pataflafla

First of all, how often are you changing your tank water. With just one goldfish, you'd have to be doing it quite frequently, but even moreso if you have 3.

goldfish put off a ton of ammonia, so it's very important that you keep up on water changes. They do need a bigger tank as well because even if their body stops growing, their organs do not until they've reached their max size. I would rehome your goldfish or get a very large tank since you have three. 30 gallons is the minimum recommended for a fancy goldfish, but even more for the comet goldfish and common feeder goldfish.

Goldfish also do not make good tank mates for bettas since bettas are tropical (Need warmer water in the 76-82 range) while goldfish prefer under 76.

Since all your fish are behaving irregularly, change all of the water you can. Your betta might also be feeling cold, so that would help explain any lethargy. The only way to get rid of ammonia is to have a properly cycled tank or to do water changes, often both are needed to keep ammonia down to preferred levels.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #7 
Maura

There's your problem. The betta is way too cold and not being given proper nutrition.
Maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #8 
lvandert

ok well there are multiple things wrong for your betta. At this point I'm going to say he needs his own, preferably 2 gallon, tank. It NEEDS to be heated and he NEEDS betta pellets. He's been "acting old" because he's not healthy. also bettas dont get broken hearts.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #9 
Eiyer

What nutrition does he need? I tried the Freeze Dried blood worms, he wouldn't touch them. I didn't know it was so bad to have Goldfish with him as long as I had a Filter. But like I said, he's been perfectly happy with the goldfish for a year now, this is just sudden. I just now got the two babies a few days ago. Does anyone know where I could get a cheap LARGE tank?
Old 07-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #10 
Eiyer

He will NOT eat Betta pellets, I've done tried that. He'll go days without eating when it comes to those. The goldfish won't even eat Betta pellets.