Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #1 
Tiger Oak

Does my betta have internal parasites?

Hi everyone,

I hope someone can tell me what is going on with my betta! I have a new HM male that I recently imported from Thailand. I received him on June 20th, and unfortunately, he arrived with fin rot. I'm pretty sure the fin rot started as a result of ammonia burns from the shipping process. The fin rot progressed pretty aggressively, despite me housing my boy in a cycled tank with pristine water conditions, so I moved him to a hospital tank and began treating him with a combo of Maracyn and Maracyn 2. He's on his 14th day of treatment, and it seems like the two medications have arrested the fin rot. Happily, there appears to be new growth on his caudal fin, but now I am worried about another issue. About a week ago, I noticed that his stools had turned from a healthy brown color to a pale yellowish-white color. Then, in addition to the pale stools, I started seeing white stringy things in the tank. I am attaching the best picture that I can take of this stuff to show you what I am talking about. The tan round thing in the upper right-hand portion of the picture is what his feces currently looks like, and the remaining white stringy things are what I suspect are worms. He produced all of this "stuff" within a 12 hour period of time. Has anyone seen anything like this before? If these are indeed internal parasites, what should I use to treat him? I really love this little fish, and I desperately want him to be healthy!

What size is your tank? 2 gallon hospital tank
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes--25 watt heater
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS Small Fish Formula Pellets, and a variety of Hikari Frozen Food (Mysis Shrimp, Krill, Tubifex Worms, Spirolina Brine Shrimp, Bloodworms, regular Brine Shrimp, and Daphnia). I only feed Hikari frozen food because it is triple-sterilized to be bacteria and parasite free.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pre-soaked pellets in the morning, one of the above frozen foods at night

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra Aquasafe Plus, Tetra Ammonia Safe, Maracyn and Maracyn 2

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No, since I am doing daily 100% water changes

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Color is paler than normal
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No change in behavior
When did you start noticing the symptoms? One week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Currently treating for fin rot--no treatment for parasites yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes--severe fin rot
How old is your fish (approximately)? 5-6 months
Attached Images

Tiger Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #2 
TheCrabbyTabby

Okay. The white stringy stuff is usually indicative of parasites. Is his stomach bulging? If so then its definitely yes.

The course of treatment if usually one teaspoon of aquarium/rock/Epsom salt per gallon of water and possibly a course of Jungle Fungus Clear. It has anti parasitic medications in it that will clear out the parasites.

Keep in mind that you'll need to do the full treatment to have it be the most effective.

Also, a picture of the betta would be most helpful.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #3 
lvandert

Internal parasites are best treated by at least a week of 1tsp of epsom salt (aq salt only heals externally and I've never heard the rock salt method). If he gets worse you can bump up the epsom salt to MAX 3tsp per gallon. You can also only treat for 10 days with salts.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #4 
Tiger Oak

Here are some photographs of him. As you can see, he does have a bit of bulginess on his left side, back near his swim bladder (which I'm hoping shows up in these photographs). I thought their stomachs and intestines were located more towards the front of the fish though? I am not sure if this bulginess is related to the odd feces or not, but he is not showing any signs of SBD, so I really don't know! Hope these pictures help!
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #5 
Tiger Oak

Here is the picture of what he looked like when I bought him (this is the picture of him from the breeder). I am posting this to show the difference from the way he looks now. It breaks my heart that he has lost his beautiful fins from fin rot and now possibly has worms! If anyone has any ideas on what I can do to help him get back to his former condition, please feel free to chime in! Also, regarding the use of epsom salt, do I use as a bath, or do I keep him in it continually? While he is in his hospital tank, I still plan to do daily 100% water changes, as I don't want him to have to deal with even the slightest bit of ammonia.
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #6 
Aus

I had a VT with this exact same issue.

Yup, that's parasites. The white stuff is empty poo 'casing'.

He needs to be dewormed, he'll have trouble healing while he's still wormy. Finish this Maracyn course, then wait a week, just clean water. De-worm him (I'd use a medication, but it's up to you, Epsom or that, I have not used Epsom for it, so can't advise there). Wait a week, clean water and maybe.. EDIT: Treat the finrot with AQ salt (sorry, I had said antibiotic but that's a lot of meds already for a little fish.. try salt. If that doesn't help, antibiotic). Though you may see him improve with just pristine water once the worms are gone and his health picks up generally.

I'd let the breeder know he arrived with parasites, if he's had no contact with other fish or shared tank water since he got home.

The bulge is the swim bladder. My wormy guy's stuck out like that too. It's normal to be able to see it on some slender bettas, but his looked abnormally large as he was thin from the worms.

Once your guy is dewormed, you could feed lots of live food, nothing too rich. Maybe mosquito larvae a while to get his weight and health back up there.

Quote:
The course of treatment if usually one teaspoon of aquarium/rock/Epsom salt per gallon of water and possibly a course of Jungle Fungus Clear. It has anti parasitic medications in it that will clear out the parasites.
CrabbyTabby, just so you know? AQ salt and Epsom aren't the same thing. Treating swelling with AQ salt can make it worse.

Last edited by Aus; 07-15-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:55 PM   #7 
Tiger Oak

Ugggh........I was afraid they were worms. Poor little fish--he's had such a rough time of it! OK, so with that in mind, what would be the best dewormer for him? Here are some that I have found on the Internet so far:

http://www.apifishcare.com/Products/...x?ProductID=62

http://www.tetra-fish.com/sites/tetr...l.aspx?id=4246

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=12098

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=12098

Has anyone had success with these, or can someone recommend something else that works well?
Old 07-15-2012, 11:47 PM   #8 
Aus

Sorry, can't help there... though API products are supposed to be quite good.

If you don't get recommendations here, you could try googling each brand like: "Does X brand work for parasites?" and read several of the forum threads that come up. This is how I research a lot of stuff, reading different opinions/experiences on something. Generally, I find that very useful.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:01 AM   #9 
Tiger Oak

OK, so I went to the local pet store today and purchased Tetra Parasite Guard, which says that it removes both external and internal parasites. It contains the ingredients Praziquantel, Diflubenzuron, Metrnidazole, and Acriflavine. I had no clue what any of those were, so I Googled them, and found out that they are basically a combination of anti-parasitics and antibiotics (to deal with any secondary infections that might arise as a result of the parasites). Wish me luck with this, and I'll keep everyone posted as I treat him!

Regarding the use of Epsom Salt, I am still not sure how to use it? Do I give him a bath in it, or do I just add it to his hospital tank along with the anti-parasitic medicine? If I use it as a bath, how long do I leave him in it? This is all so confusing!
Old 07-17-2012, 01:59 AM   #10 
Aus

Dissolve 1 teaspoon per gallon of epsom in the tank. It'll help him expel the dead worms.

Good luck. I know medicating is kind of scary. Just follow the directions carefully, and you'll be fine.

Do please let us know how he goes!