Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #11 
lvandert

just add ti to your tank like you would any medication. The "bathing" technique doesn't really work with epsom salts. It needs more than a handfull of minutes to set in and get to work
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:14 AM   #12 
Tiger Oak

OK, here is an update on my fish, "Rolo." Four days ago, I started him on Tetra Parasite Guard (mixed into his tank water in the recommended dose). Along with the usual water conditioners (Tetra Aqua Safe Plus and Tetra Ammonia Safe), I added 1 tsp. per gallon of Epsom salt to his water. I slowly acclimated him to this new water, and he tolerated it quite well.

During this new course of treatment, he's been acting normally, and his appetite is fine, but now I am worried because he hasn't had any kind of bowel movement for four days! No fish feces, no worm feces, no worms, NOTHING! So he went from having 2-3 bowel movements and passing approximately a dozen worm feces per day, to not passing a single thing.

I know the epsom salt is supposed to help him expel the dead worms, but how long should that take? Should I bump up the dosage on the epsom salt to see if that helps him pass the worms and have a bowel movement? I fed him frozen daphnia tonight as I know it is a laxative, but should I continue feeding daphnia, or should I fast him for a day to give his system a rest? I know he needs nutrition to heal, but I am so afraid of causing bloat if he is all stopped up with dead worms!
Tiger Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:49 AM   #13 
Aus

Bettas can go for quite a long time without food, even a couple of days fasting won't hurt him at all. Might make him cross at you, though. If you've given him daphnia and he's in epsom, I'd not do anything else but .. wait for him to poop.

You can make it up to him after he's passed whatever's in there, with nutritious meals and snacks. :)

Last edited by Aus; 07-20-2012 at 03:53 AM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #14 
Tiger Oak

Yay! Success at last! Rolo finally had a bowel movement last night! It was about twice the size of his normal bowel movements, and brown in color. I unfortunately did not get a picture of it, but I'm hoping that it contained the parasites. He seems much happier today, and there hasn't been any more white stringy feces. I'm going to keep him in the hospital tank for several more days so I can continue monitoring him, but I feel optimistic that he's on his way to recovery!
Old 07-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #15 
lvandert

good! the poop sounds normal so thats good. just don't keep him in the salt for over 10 days.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #16 
Tiger Oak

I actually gave him a 100% water change after I found the bowel movement, so now he is in conditioned water with no medications or salt. I plan to keep him in unmedicated water for several days (with regular water changes, of course) so I can get a better picture of whether he is truly cured of the fin rot and parasite problem. I'm hoping for the best, and I'll keep everyone posted!
Old 07-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #17 
lvandert

sweetness. I wish him happy healing!
Old 07-22-2012, 12:03 AM   #18 
Aus

Yay! I hope he makes a full recovery. You should see his fin issues healing much faster now that his energy/nutrition isn't being sapped by parasites.

I'd -slowly- increase his food quality (a sudden influx of rich food might not be good, I know it isn't for other species..) to a very rich protein diet, to help make up for what he missed out on.

I hope to see a pic of him when he's feeling all better.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote