Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #1 
Sundancex

Oops...I bought a Betta

I wasn't planning on buying a Betta yet. I wanted to have a 5-10 gal fully planted and established with some ghost shrimp before I even started looking for "the perfect betta". I was dreaming of what color and kind I would get. I was REALLY interested in a yellow mustard gas HM, or possibly a really fancy HMPK. I was hunting Aquabid, trying to figure out what my preferences were, so when I actually started looking, it would be easier to find something I liked. I had some names picked out, an idea of what my gorgeous aquascape was going to look like, and planned on giving my little fishy the best home possible right from the start.

Um...no. Instead I was at walmart today and took pity on a little veiltail. The poor little fellow was swimming in some cloudy water with the bottom covered in who knows what . I mean, I couldn't just LEAVE him there now could I? So I grabbed his little cup, which was only half filled with water by the way, and started looking for a tank. But the only tanks there were either $40-$50 for a 3 GALLON OR, some of those tiny little betta bowls. I eventually settled on a 1 gal starter kit for about $8 including some multi-colored gravel, a plastic plant (no rough edges, I checked), some Tetra AquaSafe, and a net. Now I realize this a whole lot LESS than ideal, but my options were limited. I looked for a heater suitable for a 1 gal and couldn't find one, . I also got a big bottle of AquaSafe and betta pellets (crappy ones, but still). So I brought the little guy and his new digs home and cleaned everything with super hot water. I strained the gravel, and set up his tank. I added what I think/hope was the appropriate amount of AquaSafe, swished the water around a bit, and began adjusting lil betta to his new home. I have to say that the little guy does seem to appreciate what he has, and is already a lot more active. He likes swimming circles around his plant. I can't really tell if he has any fin damage because he is all white with clear fins, but I can't see much damage, maybe a few little rips? I'm not sure if he is Albino or not? He has no pigmentation whatsoever. He is white with clear fins, his body is semi-transparent. His eyes are white with black pupils, I don't think they're red. Oh, and his name is Castiel, bonus points if you know the reference! I figured the name was fitting for a white betta.

Anyway, in the next few days I'll be going to Petco or Petsmart, or ...wherever to pick up a bigger tank, heater, a few live plants, and good betta pellets. Hopefully Castiel makes it that long, although he certainly seems healthy enough at the moment. Ill post pictures soon!
Sundancex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #2 
TheCrabbyTabby

Albino bettas are exceedingly rare. Maybe a picture of him will help to verify whether or not he is for sure. Its not that I don't believe you, its just that its beyond such a rare occurrence to fine one, much less find one at Wal-Mart.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #3 
Sundancex

I don't think he is albino, as I would assume they have red pupils and not black? But he definitely doesn't have any pigmentation on him right now, maybe after some time in nice clean water he will color up a bit.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #4 
TheCrabbyTabby

A true albino has no coloring, no pigmentation, and their internal body structures can usually be seen through their semi transparent skin. They also usually have clear fins, and a large white ring around a small blackish red pupil. Because of this, they are almost always blind. Here is a picture of a true albino.

TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #5 
xShainax

I named a betta Balthazar. Hm...I haven't seen a betta worthy of the name Castiel. *Loves not being the only "Supernatura" fan*
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #6 
Sundancex

Hmm, that is actually pretty similar to what my guy looks like, except for the eyes, he definitely looks like he has black pupils with white irises. His organs and whatnot can easily be seen through his body, and he has the same white fading to clear fins. I'll definitely post some pictures when I get back home...it's clear he already likes the camera, er camera phone.

I really have a hard time believing he is truly an albino, I mean he's from Walmart. The rest of the bettas there were reddish purple or reddish blue. So naturally I had to get the one odd colored one.

Castiel is by far my favorite character, how could I not name a white betta Castiel)
Old 07-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #7 
xShainax

I love Castiel. :)
Old 07-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #8 
ZubinBetta

If you have the resources, you may still want to get that dream betta from Aquabid, not to replace Castiel or upstage him (if that's possible!), but just so that you don't feel as though you were preparing the perfect home for the perfect betta when compassion forced your hand. That is, if you have the room, add that mustard gas HM or fancy HMPK and have two bettas at home. (In separate or divided containers, of course!)
I remember reading in Bettas: A Complete Pet Owner's Manual, the author's account of finding an albino male (pink-eyed cambodia) at a pet store. The betta could only tolerate dim light and showed a disinclination to breed. The author, Robert J. Goldstein, Ph.D., advises that if you encounter an albino for sale, you should try to acquire "the entire spawn," so that albinism might show up again in the offspring of relatives who are able and willing to breed. This may be beyond your own interest in having an unusual fish (it would be beyond mine), but the note in that book is some indication of how desirable and generally unavailable an albino betta is.
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:52 AM   #9 
Sundancex

The little bugger flared at me this morning!

No mirror or anything. Just looked right at me and flared haha. He's growing on me already.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #10 
xShainax

Guess Castiel is becoming like his namesake.