Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #1 
1stRed

Exclamation New owner, any tips?

Hello
I am a first time Betta owner I got the guy yesterday for my daughters first pet. (0fcourse I will be handling most of the care) I have him in a starter tank and hope to get some tips to keep him healthy and happy. Anything from how often to feed and clean to any facts will help. I've spent about 4hrs reading info on care for Bettas on plenty of sights but just want to make sure the facts are right! Thanks in advance!
1stRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #2 
Shayebri

Well, to start, here are some supplies you will need:
1+ gallon tank (2+ is best)
Filter
Heater
Food (I lik Aqueon pellets, 2 in the morning, 2 at night)
Decor
Thermometer
And I know I'm missing some stuff...
Shayebri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #3 
1stRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayebri View Post
Well, to start, here are some supplies you will need:
1+ gallon tank (2+ is best)
Filter
Heater
Food (I lik Aqueon pellets, 2 in the morning, 2 at night)
Decor
Thermometer
And I know I'm missing some stuff...
Check on all that :) thanks
1stRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #4 
Shayebri

Your welcome. And also, if you want, a guide on tail types.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/bett...ilfinforms.php
Shayebri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #5 
Enkil

Welcome! ^_^

I really like Prime for my dechlorinator. Takes care of a lot and you only have to use a few drops.

I do not recommend betta hammocks. They have been known to rust. I like silk plants and live plants.

I recommend an adjustable heater. That way if the betta becomes ill you can increase their temperature easily.

Would also recommend a varied diet. I like to feed mine pellets and frozen foods. I feed 2-3 times a day. Small meals.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #6 
TheCrabbyTabby

I've been reading a lot lately that the best brand of betta pellets is the New Life Spectrum Betta formula or something like that. Just look for betta pellets with the New Life Spectrum label on it.

Water should be dechlorinated and have the heavy metals removed. Never use plain tap water. It contains chlorine which was added during the purification process at the plant to prevent and kill any bacterial growth. It also has heavy metals in it for purification reasons as well. A good brand of dechlorinator and heavy metal remover is either API or Top Fin. Just look for their tap water conditioner. The instructions on usage and dosage should be on the package or label. Its usually a couple to a few drops per gallon.

While we are on the subject of water, lets talk about water changes. The smaller the bowl or tank the more often the water should be changed. Usually a 1-3 gallon bowl or tank should be changed 3 times a week. Larger tanks can be changed weekly to bi-weekly depending on size and amount of live plants ect.

Always be careful of the plants and decor your adding to the tank. I recommend running a pair of nylons or nylon stockings over anything your going to add to the tank. The nylon mimics the flowing finnage of the betta and will run on anything that most likely tear the bettas finnage.

Water temperature should be a constant 78-80 degrees. For this, a heater is usually required. A 25 watt one should do in 1-3 gallon tanks and the larger 50 watt will work in 3-10 gallon tanks and so on.

That's all I can think of atm but I might come back with more info.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:50 AM   #7 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stRed View Post
Hello
I am a first time Betta owner I got the guy yesterday for my daughters first pet. (0fcourse I will be handling most of the care) I have him in a starter tank and hope to get some tips to keep him healthy and happy. Anything from how often to feed and clean to any facts will help. I've spent about 4hrs reading info on care for Bettas on plenty of sights but just want to make sure the facts are right! Thanks in advance!
Here are some tips I can give you:

Never use distilled water, as it is stripped of too many essential minerals. Use spring or tap water, but if you're using tap water, be sure to use aquarium conditioner to remove chlorine.

I feed my betta twice a day (more food at noon than in the evening). I switch his diet between pellets, thawed frozen bloodworms, and thawed frozen brine shrimp. Just keep in mind that a betta fish's stomach is about the size of his eyeball; you don't want to overfeed him. (I usually never feed him more than 4 tiny pellets, one large bloodworm, or a few brine shrimp for lunch).

Decorate the bettas tank to give him plenty to explore and look at. This will keep him happy and active :)
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:33 AM   #8 
Aus

Good advice up there!

In addition, I'd recommend a 1st aid kit:

Aquarium salt (great for some minor illnesses).
Epsom salt (pure only! - great for issues involving swelling)
Maracyn 1 (gram positive antibiotic)
Maracyn 2 (gram negative antibiotic)
Something that will treat true fungus like saprolegnia ("fungus" the disease isn't actually fungus, go figure, it's a gram negative bacteria..)
Stress Coat (great! for new fish/stressed fish/occasional slime coat renewal and also acts as a water conditioner, I use it in addition to Prime now and then)

Forget bettafix, pimafix.. all the -fix stuff. It's not an antibiotic, it's an antiseptic - which some folks have found useful for some issues.. however, it's NOT a cure-all by a long shot and contains eucalypt oils which can damage betta's air-breathing organs... nothing I'd like to risk unless Aq salt wasn't working for an exterior infection -- and in that case I'd likely use an antibiotic anyway,
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:54 AM   #9 
Tikibirds

If you plan on having a filtered tank, make sure you know about the nitrogen cycle. Even with a filter, you still need to do weekly water changes. A petco employee told me if you have a filter you never change the water speaking of petco - rule number 1 - NEVER trust anything a petshop employee tells you! I'm sure somewhere out there is en employee that actually knows about fish care but 99.9% of what they will tell you is pure bull.

I'm not sure about tanks under 5G but for 5g and over, if you are going with a filter, you should pick up the API master test kit so you can keep an eye on ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte levels while the bacteria do their thing. You will need some levels of ammonia in order for the bacteria but you don't want the levels to get to high or it will become deadly for the betta. Ditto for NitrIte and NitrAte.

If you can find betta revive (not to be confused with bettafix) that had a low dosage of malachite green and methleyne blue:
  • Prevents & Controls Protozoan Diseases
  • Prevents & Controls Bacterial Diseases
  • Prevents & Controls Fungal Diseases
  • Helps Regenerate Damaged Fins & Tail
If you can get some of the other mentioned meds, it would be better but betta revive would be better then nothing if it came down to it. When I lived in Alaska, I had to order all meds online and this was one of the few that petco actually had.

Also Furan-2 might be better then the Maracyn's and easier to find. I beleive it fights both gram neg and gram positive bacteria infections which is what maracyn 1 and 2 will do if combined. I have heard a few times that they are taking maracyn off the shelves - something to do with idiots using it to get high >.< I have only been able to get them via online shopping but I can get furan-2 and triple sulfa at a local shop.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 07-16-2012 at 03:07 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #10 
teeneythebetta

Welcome to the forum!! Everyone has already given great advice, all I have to say is dont be afraid to ask questions!

@Tikibirds
WOW that is scary! imagine how many people listenend to that employee and killed their fish!
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote