Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #11 
1stRed

Wow that you all for the great tips! Sorry it took so long to reply I'm trying to figure out how to work this site on my phone LOL
1stRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #12 
Shadyr

It is something that you can really go all out with. Hopefully your fish won't need the medicines ever, it's that kind of thing where you hope you never use it, but can be hard to get your hands on quickly if time is ever of the essence.

I hope your daughter enjoy the fish too - it's usually a pretty easy trick to teach your betta that she might get a kick out of: dampen finger with water, put a food pellet on fingertip, and hold it just barely above the water where they can see it. They quickly learn to pop up and grab it off the finger. My sons betta will jump half out of the water to get any fingertips he sees coming
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #13 
Bettanewbie60

This site is the best..I am new to betta keeping myself, so the only advice I have is ask questions, keep it simple, and don't panic lol! WELCOME!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:19 PM   #14 
1stRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyr View Post
It is something that you can really go all out with. Hopefully your fish won't need the medicines ever, it's that kind of thing where you hope you never use it, but can be hard to get your hands on quickly if time is ever of the essence.

I hope your daughter enjoy the fish too - it's usually a pretty easy trick to teach your betta that she might get a kick out of: dampen finger with water, put a food pellet on fingertip, and hold it just barely above the water where they can see it. They quickly learn to pop up and grab it off the finger. My sons betta will jump half out of the water to get any fingertips he sees coming
Hahaha I will have to teach her that! I think she'll enjoy finger feeding BigRed
Old 07-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #15 
JessSH

Hi! Welcome to the forum! I agree with the other great advice & would like to add 2 more tips. A great piece of advice I got was from MoonShadow was to get VitaChem. I had a ill/injured rescue & I noticed a big improvement in his healing when I started adding it to the water & my healthy fish has brighter colors & overall looks better. I was only able to find it online, but it's definitely worth it. The 2nd tip is to get some decor for them to hide in, like a cave or a betta log. They LOVE it! Again, welcome & congrats on your new lil guy!
JessSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #16 
1stRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessSH View Post
Hi! Welcome to the forum! I agree with the other great advice & would like to add 2 more tips. A great piece of advice I got was from MoonShadow was to get VitaChem. I had a ill/injured rescue & I noticed a big improvement in his healing when I started adding it to the water & my healthy fish has brighter colors & overall looks better. I was only able to find it online, but it's definitely worth it. The 2nd tip is to get some decor for them to hide in, like a cave or a betta log. They LOVE it! Again, welcome & congrats on your new lil guy!
How do you dose a betta with VitaChem? I need too get some
Old 07-18-2012, 11:30 PM   #17 
Ghost Handler

What level of ammonia is dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
If you plan on having a filtered tank, make sure you know about the nitrogen cycle. Even with a filter, you still need to do weekly water changes. A petco employee told me if you have a filter you never change the water speaking of petco - rule number 1 - NEVER trust anything a petshop employee tells you! I'm sure somewhere out there is en employee that actually knows about fish care but 99.9% of what they will tell you is pure bull.

I'm not sure about tanks under 5G but for 5g and over, if you are going with a filter, you should pick up the API master test kit so you can keep an eye on ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte levels while the bacteria do their thing. You will need some levels of ammonia in order for the bacteria but you don't want the levels to get to high or it will become deadly for the betta. Ditto for NitrIte and NitrAte.

If you can find betta revive (not to be confused with bettafix) that had a low dosage of malachite green and methleyne blue:
  • Prevents & Controls Protozoan Diseases
  • Prevents & Controls Bacterial Diseases
  • Prevents & Controls Fungal Diseases
  • Helps Regenerate Damaged Fins & Tail
If you can get some of the other mentioned meds, it would be better but betta revive would be better then nothing if it came down to it. When I lived in Alaska, I had to order all meds online and this was one of the few that petco actually had.

Also Furan-2 might be better then the Maracyn's and easier to find. I beleive it fights both gram neg and gram positive bacteria infections which is what maracyn 1 and 2 will do if combined. I have heard a few times that they are taking maracyn off the shelves - something to do with idiots using it to get high >.< I have only been able to get them via online shopping but I can get furan-2 and triple sulfa at a local shop.
I have a new 3 gallon betta tank with one male betta. Having read bahumat285's great thread on water chemistry I purchased a liquid test kit to measure pH, NH3, NO2, & NO3. I have tested the water every day for about a week since I put my fish in. I have seen almost no change in the water chemistry in that time. The pH is 7 to 7.2, the NO2 is zero, the NO3 is zero, and the ammonia has changed slightly from zero at the beginning of the week to about 0.25 ppm today. 'Gur seems happy, lively, and in good color.

Much of what I've read says that one should watch these parameter, but I have yet to see anywhere that gives quantitative guidelines for when these compounds become a hazard to our friends. In shor, what are safe levels of ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite? When should I worry?
Ghost Handler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:22 AM   #18 
JessSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stRed View Post
How do you dose a betta with VitaChem? I need too get some
I add 1 drop/gallon to the water I'm conditioning when I do a water change. I put that, conditioner & water in a bucket ahead of time & generally let it sit overnight. I'm don't think you have to do it that way, I just got in the habit of it because I used to have to add AQ salt for my rescue & it takes forever to dissolve. Plus I found it's a good way to get your water up to room temp so there isn't a big water temp drop for your guy when you put him back in his clean tank. SeaChem Prime is a great water conditioner if you're looking for one. 2 drops/gallon, so it lasts forever. Just don't smell it! LOL The cheapest place I found VitaChem was on Amazon.com. Make sure you get the kind for freshwater because they do have a saltwater option.

Last edited by JessSH; 07-19-2012 at 12:33 AM. Reason: .
JessSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #19 
Enkil

Must say that I agree with having a betta first aid kit for just in case. I have the following on hand:
- Aquarium salt
- Epsom salt
- Both maracyns
- stress coat

The jumping for food you can also get them to do with things like blood worms and mosquito larvae. I get the forzen kind and thaw them out in some tank water. Even my giant will jump out of the water for these.

Also, I would recommend taking into account the tail type when looking at tank size. I don't keep any of my plakats/halfmoon plakats in less than about 5 gallons. One even has his very own tank.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote