Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #11 
kfryman

Yeah, I believe that with lots of trust they can work. I think I will just keep it to good friends unless anything actually happens. For now I think good friends will work. Thanks all!
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #12 
djembekah

Where'd you meet her, kfryman! my friend met her boyfriend on Omegle. She's in Canada, and he's in the Dominican Republic xD

And i've had other friends meet on Neopets and get really serious.
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #13 
TheCrabbyTabby

Where did the whole "Its better to have loved and lost, then to have never have loved at all" saying come from? Its bogus. I'd rather be naive and happy than brokenhearted and miserable any day.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:00 PM   #14 
TigerRegalia

I have had a different experience with long-distance relationships, in a good way. My fiancÚ and I met and started dating 8 years ago, and he is from Indiana, while I am from South Carolina. A year later, he joined the Marines, and thus was in various parts of the United States as well as overseas for 4 years. It hasn't been easy by many means, but we are much stronger than most couples our age are because of the fact that we have put our communication and relationship first. So, I think that if you both really want it, you both are willing to work very hard at it, and you both are dedicated, then it works out even better in the end.
TigerRegalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:02 PM   #15 
TheCrabbyTabby

He said he doesn't want to ruin the friendship. I am going to respect him for that decision and leave it at that.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:02 PM   #16 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Long distance relationships are okay if you're an adult and have more control over your life.. But honestly it's too hard being a teen. Especially if you have "those" parents. D:
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:14 PM   #17 
vhplac

My husband was in the Army, stationed in Germany. There have been many times when he was gone for training. Usually 3-4-6 weeks at a time. He was deployed to Croatia and went to Iraq with the first wave of troops. After he got out of the Military it took us 2 years to get my papers to legally live here in the U.S. He could only come to see me twice during that time and he took our three youngest with him for the last year. They had to get into school/kindergarten.
It was not easy, but we made it! It is draining and even tho I thought I did good, I had a nervous breakdown the day I finally held my papers in my hand!
We trusted each other the whole time. Concentrated on our kids and talked as much as possible!
That said, I do think that long distance can work! It might eat up on the inside after a while............. but if you know that what is waiting for you at the end is worth it, you do not mind!
vhplac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #18 
TigerRegalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhplac View Post
My husband was in the Army, stationed in Germany. There have been many times when he was gone for training. Usually 3-4-6 weeks at a time. He was deployed to Croatia and went to Iraq with the first wave of troops. After he got out of the Military it took us 2 years to get my papers to legally live here in the U.S. He could only come to see me twice during that time and he took our three youngest with him for the last year. They had to get into school/kindergarten.
It was not easy, but we made it! It is draining and even tho I thought I did good, I had a nervous breakdown the day I finally held my papers in my hand!
We trusted each other the whole time. Concentrated on our kids and talked as much as possible!
That said, I do think that long distance can work! It might eat up on the inside after a while............. but if you know that what is waiting for you at the end is worth it, you do not mind!
Having first-hand experience with being in a military relationship, I completely agree! It is emotionally draining, but as long as communication, loyalty, patience, and determination are in check from both partners, you will develop a very strong bond, no matter how far the distance!
TigerRegalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:25 PM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

At least now there are cellphones and computers so it;s easier to keep in touch nowadays. Back in the 60's and 70's there was none of that stuff so when my dad was in Vietnam my mom would go months without hearing anything from him. She would get a letter once in awhile but those were few and far between.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:39 AM   #20 
Tikibirds

I did it from 2006-2008. I took a break from being in Alaska and went to do an internship at disney world and then worked for a year at the grand canyon. Although I am still with the same idiot. Currently he is in Boston and I am in eastern NY but that is not as bad as being 5,000 miles apart. He needs to find a job since he just got his PHD. That being said, I am NOT willing to do this past labor day. Its way too emotionally stressful for me. Plus we have been together for 12 years. Either man up and marry me or go on your merry way. My patience and loyalty are about to run out.

Part of the stress comes from lack of communication. Neither of us are big on phones and for email, I am lucky if I get a response within a month.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote