Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #1 
misty1477

Question No More Bubble Nests :(

I originally had 'Sparkle' in a vase-type container when I first received him. He made me BUBBLE NESTS EVERY DAY

A few weeks later, I bought him a 5 gallon tank with 2 silks plants and filter. NO MORE BUBBLE NESTS EVER SINCE

I don't believe it would be from strong filter out-flow into his tank because I make sure it is flowing back in softly. BTW....my cats love to drink the water as flows back into his tank 'waterfall'

Any ideas as to why he does not make me bubble nests any more? I thought he made them because he is happy. I am aware that bettas do this when getting ready for the eggs....maybe he is not getting ready now??

I want him to be a happy Betta and let me know that he is happy in his new home.
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #2 
ZackyBear

Stick a bottle cap in his tank in a corner somewhere.

Usually bubble nests indicate a healthy fish, but sometimes they need something like a 'median' of sorts to help them get started :3

If he doesn't build a nest after another day or so, I'd say get your water checked in case something might be off~
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #3 
misty1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackyBear View Post
Stick a bottle cap in his tank in a corner somewhere.

Usually bubble nests indicate a healthy fish, but sometimes they need something like a 'median' of sorts to help them get started :3

If he doesn't build a nest after another day or so, I'd say get your water checked in case something might be off~
I will try the bottle cap...but won't it "float around" in the top of the water OR all around because of the filter moving the water?

Odd..he did not have anything in the vase-type home to get him started.

He does look and act healthy :)

Thank You !
Old 06-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #4 
ZackyBear

If the filter is moving the water surface enough to move the cap then it should be baffled ;3
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #5 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

When I first got Perseus he was in a half a gallon square type bowl and he made bubble nest a two or three times before I moved him to his 5 gallon tank which has been just over a month now and no bubble nest. Like your he is very active and loves to explore his tank and patrol it and plays all day. So I have no idea why no bubble nest the water is the same and I keep up with water changes. I wish I could find some Almond leaves I think they are suppose to help. Hopes we both get some bubble nests soon !
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #6 
aqua001

I'm having the same prob. He had a HUGE nest in the store but now that he's in a proper hame, it all gone. Sorry, I'm no help in this dilemma.
aqua001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #7 
Shadyr

It comes and goes. When I got Chicory, he made nests almost every water change. Then he stopped. He's at home being treated for a creepy infestation currently, and he made me a little nest a couple nights ago.

My daughter's betta only ever made one nest. We took a picture

My son's makes one every couple of weeks.

My avatar Ghost is about the same, one every couple of weeks.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #8 
Foisair

From my experience, a bubble nest is not the only indication of a healthy and happy betta. I have two and both are healthy and happy but only one actually nests. Beast seems to blow bubbles but hasn't really figured out that they're all supposed to go in the same spot. Both fish are in 1.5 gallon unfiltered tanks right now. Hopefully in the next month or so, I'll be able to move Merlin into the filtered 10 gallon with the pygmy corrys I should be getting this week. I do have some floating plants so the surface opposite of the filter is completely calm so it will be interesting to see if he nests again. If your betta is active, eating well and looks okay, I wouldn't worry about him being unhappy just because he hasn't nested.
Foisair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #9 
thekoimaiden

I've found that if there is any surface movement whatsoever, my bettas won't build bubble nests. As it has already been mentioned, bubble nests aren't necessarily a sign of a healthy betta. They are the sign of a betta that is ready to breed. I've seen them in tiny cups at pet stores.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #10 
misty1477

Well.....still no bubble nests.

I tried the bottle cap ... Sparkle didn't even go near it.

Tested water...all is fine.

I guess it is because his tank is filtered and the water moves around a "little" bit.

Darn....I loved the bubble nests.

Was thinking of turning off filter for a day or two to see what happens. But maybe nothing will appear ... I bought him a FlowerBall and he spends ALOT of time inside of it....he really likes his 'cave'. Maybe he will build a bubble nest inside of it I won't be able to see it though.

Sparkle my Betta Boy ... you are soooo spoiled !!!

Tags
bubble nests