Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

How much kibble does a ten pound dog need?

Because I was lucky yesterday in getting my dog to eat about a half cup, and today he wouldn't eat breakfast (he gets breakfast and dinner) and for dinner I could only get him to eat 1/8 cup. And that's ONLY after I fed him from my hand. What's wrong with him? I don't feel like he's eating enough....He also gets 2 walks a day...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #2 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Because I was lucky yesterday in getting my dog to eat about a half cup, and today he wouldn't eat breakfast (he gets breakfast and dinner) and for dinner I could only get him to eat 1/8 cup. And that's ONLY after I fed him from my hand. What's wrong with him? I don't feel like he's eating enough....He also gets 2 walks a day...
It all depends on activity, age etc. Both of my dogs, one is 21lbs one is 32lbs, a get 1/3 of a cup of dry food 3 times a day. I space it out because they are very active. Both of them are very healthy and within their weight range. There is also a bottled "gravy" you can buy at the pet store that would moisten his kibble for him, and may tempt him to eat. I would try smaller meals three times, or even twice a day
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:31 PM   #3 
teeneythebetta

I'd base it on the label on your bag of food. Give or take a little..
If you feel it is really an issue, like if he continues to eat very little/none, talk to your vet. I know in very concerning cases they will give pets appetizer shots.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #4 
finnfinnfriend

Oh I forgot to mention he is three...

The thing is, I TRY to feed him twice a day...but he usually refuses to eat the first one...

I guess a half cup a day would be enough?
Old 07-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #5 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
I'd base it on the label on your bag of food. Give or take a little..
If you feel it is really an issue, like if he continues to eat very little/none, talk to your vet. I know in very concerning cases they will give pets appetizer shots.
Ughhh well shortly AFTER acquiring him I got laid off from my job...So right now I can't take him to the vet :(. I don't think anything's wrong with him though...his previous owner just gave him people food...hopefully this will sort itself out soon...I'm just worried that he has some emotional problem that makes him afraid to eat...because he will stop before he should be full....
Old 07-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #6 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Ughhh well shortly AFTER acquiring him I got laid off from my job...So right now I can't take him to the vet :(
Aww I'm sorry to hear that :(
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #7 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Oh I forgot to mention he is three...

The thing is, I TRY to feed him twice a day...but he usually refuses to eat the first one...

I guess a half cup a day would be enough?
My dog Cody has to be awake for a while before he likes to eat in the morning, my other one, Casey eats right away. So, maybe try the first meal after he's up for an hour or so? Check the label on the food it should suggest how much for a 10lb dog..I would think a 1/4 cup twice a day would be enough. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 07-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #8 
Bethydan

It depends on the specific food. Different brands list different amounts.

Some dogs just won't eat a lot. Breed and activity level go a long way towards determining food amount. My dog self-feeds mostly. He's not a huge eater and he's very lean and thin, but he's healthy. Which is fine because his breed does tend towards too much weight gain. They're like people. Some people will stop eating before they actually feel full because that's how their body has been somehow trained to eat. Actually, I think that's how humans are /supposed/ to eat if I'm not mistaken.
Bethydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #9 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethydan View Post
It depends on the specific food. Different brands list different amounts.

Some dogs just won't eat a lot. Breed and activity level go a long way towards determining food amount. My dog self-feeds mostly. He's not a huge eater and he's very lean and thin, but he's healthy. Which is fine because his breed does tend towards too much weight gain. They're like people. Some people will stop eating before they actually feel full because that's how their body has been somehow trained to eat. Actually, I think that's how humans are /supposed/ to eat if I'm not mistaken.
Absolutely agree...on all points!
Old 07-26-2012, 01:46 AM   #10 
finnfinnfriend

Well yesterday and today I managed to get him to eat 1/4 cup at night...so that's progress! :)