Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #1 
Alcemistnv

Divided tank questions

Alright, so I just got a 5 gallon tank, and it is expected to arrive on Wednesday. Here is the tank

LINK (I'm excited, but I'm afraid it can crack in the delivery )

I might be going to Petsmart TOMORROW or sometime during the week. I'm also heading to AC Moore to get the plastic mesh for the tank (the needle point canvas). I'm dividing it, allowing 2.5 gallons of water for each fish.

As excited as I am, I'm not that prepared xD

So, I just found this link here and I found out how to do the dividers. But I don't know how to do a sponge filter. Do I jsut put it in the middle, and put a divider on either side?

Last edited by Alcemistnv; 07-15-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:19 AM   #2 
cjconcepcion

you can just use a regular filter and a regular heater, dosent matter which side its on because the holes are big enough to allow water flow, thats what i do for for my divided tanks
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:27 AM   #3 
Alcemistnv

Okay. I'll have to find out more info when i get the filter. When I was younger, I lost an entire 10 gallon tank of fish because my filter was too strong. So I'm afraid to lose another one that way.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:38 AM   #4 
cjconcepcion

are you putting just betta fish on each side? you can just make a filter baffle :) i use aquatech power filters and its easy to baffle them
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:03 AM   #5 
Alcemistnv

Yes, I putting one betta on each side :3

And okay, I will look for that kind ^^
Old 07-16-2012, 02:54 AM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

If you go with a sponge filter you can run multiple filters off one pump. That way you can put a sponge filter in both sections if you'd like or just go with one bigger one in the middle.

I'd personally do two smaller ones on each side as I find it stops detritus from building up and the fish gets more space than if you had to divide an area off in the middle of the tank.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #7 
Alcemistnv

ooo that sounds good :3

I'm hoping all this will make a lot more sense when I actually have the filter xD
Old 07-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #8 
JBosley

Hey!
I have a 15 gallon divided tank, just divided down the center I have the sponge filter on one side, close to the divide and the heater on the other side. The heater is in the same spot as the filter, just on the other side of the tank! Does a wonderful job. Both sides are crystal clear, and the far side of each divided section are a balmy 78F

If you only have fake plants, 1 sponge filter is enough!
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote