Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #1 
tropical tailfin

Question I'm freaking out..

Im new to the fish hobby and i have been having a little problem with my female betta. Her skin has turned somewhat transparent and i can see a big white-ish sac inside her stomach area. I'm guessing it's from over feeding, but I am not so sure. Also, her gills have turned red and swollen a little. The same happened to a minnows gills and he died a couple hours later . Ill upload some pictures of her condition. Does anyone have an idea of what it could be?
tropical tailfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #2 
TipBetta

I wish I could help you but I wouldn't know what is wrong.
TipBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:03 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

There's a form to fill out in this section of the forum. Fill that out and post it here so we can help you with everything.

What's her coloring though, if she's light colored, she might have paled a little letting you see her insides (Paler fish tend to go somewhat transparent when they pale up).
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:04 PM   #4 
teeneythebetta

Can you post a pic? Please fill out this form as well.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:30 AM   #5 
tropical tailfin

she's been looking for food but she is still in her bloated state.
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #6 
tropical tailfin

Housing
What size is your tank: 20gl
What temperature is your tank: 80F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, 15 gallon
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?: 1 male betta, 2 minnows, 1 rainbow shark, 2 kuhli loaches

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? betta pellets, tropical flaked, and blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? about twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? conditioning salt

Water Parameters
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? only ph (7.6) and chlorine(0.5)

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? i can see inside her o.O
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? no shes still very docile
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About 2 days ago when i introduced a play sand substrate
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? with and Ich treatment that also cures secondary bacterial infections.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that i know of
How old is your fish (approximately)? not sure, shes only roughly 2 inched
Old 07-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #7 
teeneythebetta

Like i said, if you fill out the form I posted above, we can tell you what might be wrong. Turning pale is a bad sign and this may be an urgent matter; the sooner the better. We cant say what is wrong if we dont know the environment she is in or any other extra details expressed in the form.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #8 
Pataflafla

Your choice in companions is not good.

Bettas should never be housed together if the owner is inexperienced, a male and female being the worst to try and house together unless for breeding only.

Certain species get along and others don't, along with their habitat requirements. I don't think you've done such a good job with researching all of your tank mates' needs and temperaments. You can see what some more experienced people think of your setup if you post your tank in the Compatibility section of the main forum.

My best suggestion would be to get two separate tanks for your bettas as they are aggressive fish and cannot be housed together safely by inexperienced owners. Bettas are territorial even when ready for breeding, so keep in mind that if neither of them are geared and ready for it, it's a terrible choice to house them together.

As for her coloring, she's a pale colored fish anyway and it is normal to be able to see her internal organs with her coloring. The white mass is actually her egg sac, which all females have. She does not look bloated, so it is safe to feed her regularly.

Also, you should be using a water conditioner that eliminates chlorine as that can kill your fish. Salt is unnecessary for most freshwater species, so you should avoid use until it is an appropriate treatment.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #9 
lvandert

first off remove the male immediately! She's getting eggy (hence your bloat) from being in the same water as the male. I would put her in a heated hospital tank to calm down and hope those eggs either pass or get absorbed otherwise she could burst. Also do get some water conditioner, salts cause harm to the labyrinth organ with prolonged use (10+ days).

On a side note please do some research on proper tank mates before throwing fish together...

Edit: do stop treating her for ich and parasites, that is not her problem and you could be causing more harm than good.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #10 
teeneythebetta

I agree, separate them ASAP. They might act friendly towards one another noe but can and will kill each other one day. There was someone on this forum that had a male and female together, we told that person to separate them and they said they are fine together. Then a few days later they killed each other. :(