Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #1 
CharStarr

Kudo's NEW tank & buddies!

So today my family and I went aquarium shopping practically all day and we had SO much fun. I got the new 10 gallon tank I wanted for Kudo and some more plants and a new hiding place. Got a thermometer that actually works and a heater AND new gravel. My mom got my 5 gallon tank and we started a sorority for hew, she picked out all the lovely female bettas. They're BEAUTIFUL colours. I got my ADFs and my husband suggested the names Hip and Hop and I love them XD So all in all great day!!
Attached Images

CharStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:38 AM   #2 
lvandert

I hate to be the barer of bad news but a sorority of female bettas needs atleast 4 girls (5 are better) and you NEED a ten gallon for that, not a 5 gal
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #3 
CharStarr

Why is that?
Old 07-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #4 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharStarr View Post
Why is that?
Congrats! Like the above poster, the smallest a sorority should be kept in is a 10 gallon. And, only in a ten gallon you can have 4-5 females. In the five, ammonia will quickly rise and endanger your fish, and the females(who have to establish a pecking order) will have trouble swimming around and will turn on each other for the worse. Also, did you cycle your 10 gallon? Cycling is ESSENTIAL for tanks 10 gallons and bigger. If you do not cycle your tank, the ammonia,nitrite,nitrate and even ph levels can fluctuate(NOT GOOD) and ultimately kill your fish and frogs. Remove all the fish from both tanks until the females have a bigger tank and the 10 gal. is finished cycling.

Nice tank, just research a little more, and your all good!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #5 
Enkil

Love the new tank and frogs are so cute! If I thought any of my boys would tolerate tank mates like that, I would so do it!

As others have pointed out, a sorority needs to be in a 10 gallon or larger tank. I had one in my 10 gal. Started with 3 females who were siblings from the same spawn and had always been housed together. Not an ideal situation. I ended up with 8 females in a heavily planted 10 gal. Was going to upgrade them to a 29 but someone ended up killing them on me while I was out. So I now have 1 female in my 10 gal now. I suggest lots of live plants and 4 or more girls.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #6 
CharStarr

I just have a question, why is it that 4 betta females can't co exist in a 5 gallon? Or even like 2 or 3?

We have separated the females and I'm wondering how long it takes to do a full cycle for 10 gallon? Just to make sure I got the right information, turns out the fish and reptile manager at PJ Pets I can't trust, he gave me HORRIBLE information, all of you would cringe if you heard.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #7 
lvandert

They can its just the ammonia levels will get very high in a day or two. So much so it'll kill the fish. You'd be doing at least 50% water changes every day or 100% water changes every other day. You can't have 2 or 3 because that's not how girls work. You put two girls together its like two guys. You put three girls together two will gang up on one until she's gone and then they go after each other.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #8 
CharStarr

That makes sense, so its better to have 5 or more like you said? Okay, well they are going to stay separated until we can get a 10 gallon tank for my mom and cycle it.

Thanks for everyones help.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:56 AM   #9 
lvandert

yeah 5 or more makes a very happy sorority. They'll form a hierarchy with an top dog as it were. they'll operate very much like a wolf pack. One will the be alpha, one beta and so on down the line. You will have one that gets picked on all the time but it'll be alright.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #10 
CharStarr

Thank you Ivandert. I appreciate all your help.

Can you explain this cycle business to me? Do I run my tank with the conditioning in it for a couple of days? The manager at PJs Pets gave me advice but then again this is the same guy who told me he lets practically ALL his water evaporate in his tank so that the betta only has like 20% water to swim in and doesn't clean his tank for a month...