Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #11 
lvandert

ug, people. Yeah You let it run for a few days at least. Some people let them run for a month, I've personally let my 10 gallons run for a week in the past and been fine with that.
If you have a water testing kit use that to determine when your cycle is up. Wait for the nitrites to go down (although you have to have a test kit that can measure that). Some tanks cycle faster some don't.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #12 
CharStarr

Thank you! Sorry do you mind if I ask you one more thing? I asked on Other Fish but no one is answering, its about snails.
CharStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #13 
lvandert

I'll try to answer if I can, or at least recommend someone to answer. lol don't be sorry for asking questions, it's the smartest thing you can do
Old 07-18-2012, 02:17 PM   #14 
CharStarr

Thank you so much! Okay so as you know I have a 10 gallon tank with Kudo in it and two ADFs and two cardinal tetra, I find though that there is sometimes a lot of left over food in the gravel and I heard that a mystery or malaysian snail would eat that and help keep the tank clean. I was wondering if my tank would benefit from having a snail ? I have fake plants but I could get some live ones if need be.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #15 
lvandert

Oh yeah a mystery snail would definitely clean that up. They don't need live plants (they don't actually eat them) but if you got live plants they would benefit from the fish poop. lol. I have a few snails zooming around in my tanks. I would stay away from the "pond" or "ramshorn" snail they can reproduce by themselves. The Nerite Snail is the one people one here recommend the most. They don't get huge, they don't reproduce by themselves and they have a relatively small bio-load. Mystery snails just have a bigger bio-load than the Nerites do, other than that its all the same. But yeah I would recommend a snail in your tank. If you ever put aq salt or epsom salt remove the snail first. They don't tolerate salts too well
Old 07-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #16 
CharStarr

So for a ten gallon it would be okay to get a couple of nerite snails? Are they okay on their own (like either mystery or nerite). Thank you so much for all your help.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #17 
teeneythebetta

Nerite snails can't succesfully reproduce, but they will lay eggs that will not hatch. Do if you get a male & female be prepared. I got lucky and ended up with two males... I've heard the eggs are a pain to clean so i would get just one in Case. :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #18 
CharStarr

So if I just get one then it won't lay eggs?
Old 07-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #19 
teeneythebetta

Yepp :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #20 
CharStarr

Woot! And its the same for a mystery snail right? If I just get one then they won't lay eggs? And snails don't mind being on their own?