Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #1 
bluekayak

Betta fish in trouble

We have a male betta approx six months very happy and lively in a 1 gallon tank, no filter or heater - we just changed to 2 gallon tank 2 days ago

A week ago he started looking listless, increasingly just napping through his days and nights, lost all interest in food and unresponsive, at this point I'm amazed he's still alive.

What temperature is your tank? unknown, but has been constant since we got him

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No

Is your tank heated? No

What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? New Life Spectrum betta formula

How often do you feed your betta fish? was feeding 2-3 tiny pellets every evening, but currently doesn't eat

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once a week

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? All of it

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API tap water conditioner x5 drops per gallon

Have you tested your water? No

How has your betta fish's appearance changed?

Seems to have lost a lot of his usual reddish-purple color, and instead of the nice big fluffy fins they all look bunched up and scrawny

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? When did you start noticing the symptoms?

About a week ago he became listless, laying on his side against a rock, seemed to be sleeping a lot, but could rouse him, now less so. He hardly responds now.

He stopped eating about the same time, and now I try to tempt him with food when I see him come up to the surface, which is infrequent but more in the past two days; he ignores food altogether. He used to come to the glass and get very excited at feeding times, then attack the food with verve.

Not the same fish we've enjoyed for the past six months

Have you started treating your fish? No, except for going from 1 gallon to 2 gallon tank

Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not while we've had him

How old is your fish (approximately)? Unknown, we've had him six months and he's same size as when we got him

Thanks
bluekayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #2 
bluekayak

I just looked at him closely with a flashlight and it looks like parts of him are covered with something fuzzy looking, not a nice fish-slime look
Old 07-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #3 
TipBetta

Your tank is a bit small... Also Bettas need heaters! Heaters, heaters, heaters...

It may be too much of a water change, or too little food.

Maybe you could try bettafix medicine.

Last edited by TipBetta; 07-16-2012 at 04:13 PM.
TipBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #4 
lelei

That could be Ich..and it needs treatment, take him out and put him in Hospital tank, with some Aquarium salt, and do water changes daily, adding salt as you go, 1tsp per gallon, If you have a Kritter keeper, that is fine for a Hospital tank, ich can kill, if not treated quickly..do you have Aquarium Salt?
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #5 
lelei

You didn't clarify the temp, do you have a thermometer to moniter the temp?
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry you are having problems....

Really important to monitor the temp....anyway you can check that for us and post the numbers.....

It sound like the water quality and possible temp issues may have caught up with him and compromised the immune response.....Since he looks fuzzy I would go ahead and start a 10day aquarium salt treatment in QT.

Using the 1gal tank half full of water for the QT....
Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add aquarium salt 2tsp/gal and a tannin source if you have one-either IAL(1lrg crushed/gal) or dried Oak leaf (20 crushed/gal) Let this steep for 30min to start releasing the tannins and salt to dissolve...Shake well before use...

Using this premixed treatment water-make 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today....This will get him acclimated to the new chemistry and start the treatment...Turn off the light today...

Tomorrow start 50% daily water changes using the premixed treatment water for the next 9 days.....

He needs to stay in the treatment water in the half full 1gal tank for the duration of the treatment period....
Water temp need to be maintained in the low normal during treatment 76-77F

If you used a tannin source the water should look darker every day.....

Nutrition-if you have access to mosquito larva offer several rinsed several times a day. If not-offer good quality varied diet in small frequent meals.

Good luck and keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, you could do 100% water changes. Without a filter, there's hardly any bacteria. You have to do 1 100% and 1 50% per week. He's probably listless because there is too much ammonia. You need a heater. If your tank is a constant warm temperature like 78F, I guess you don't need one. You REALLY need a thermometer to tell the temperature.

When you mean fuzzy looking, is it like white patches? I don't think Ick/Ich is fuzzy. Never try Bettafix or Melafix. It could harm his labyrinth organ. You also need to give him a more varied diet and more pellets. I have NLS and I feed 2 pellets 3x a day. Give him some variety like bloodworms 1-3 times a week.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #8 
bluekayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
You didn't clarify the temp, do you have a thermometer to moniter the temp?
Don't know the temp, I tried immersing a regular thermometer but all it read was low
Old 07-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #9 
LebronTheBetta

Then please get a thermometer from a pet store and an adjustable heater.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #10 
Alcemistnv

I used a meat thermometer :3
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote