Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #1 
puppyrjjkm

College Tank Thread

Hello fellow college students! I will be a sophomore this fall but first year living on campus, so I'm trying to figure out what kind of tank or multiple tanks to use for my 3 boys. So just curious what kinds of setups other college students use, pictures would be great!
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:30 AM   #2 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppyrjjkm View Post
Hello fellow college students! I will be a sophomore this fall but first year living on campus, so I'm trying to figure out what kind of tank or multiple tanks to use for my 3 boys. So just curious what kinds of setups other college students use, pictures would be great!
First of all, the fish in your avatar is adorable! :)

I'll be heading off to live on campus this fall too! I need to find out if my dorm allows fish though... If I do bring Junior, I plan on keeping him in his one gallon cylinder tank since his big tank is too big to bring and maintain. However I'm conflicted because I don't want to cause him stress moving in and out (my college is 8 hours away from my hometown), and I don't want him to be less happy if he's kept in his smaller tank..
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #3 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

I began my journey into bettas in college. They make great dorm pets. I just had your basic 5 gal tank with a filter. It was a bowfront tank. I don't think they make the same model anymore (was in the dorms 3 years ago), but this is close to it: Aqueon Mini Bow 5 Gallon Aquarium Starter Kit - Specialty Pet Month - Featured Products - PetSmart I liked it because it was plexiglass and very light to carry even with gravel in it. I only took him home on breaks where they turned the power off in the dorms (thanksgiving break, winter break, ect).

I think it mostly depends on the amount of space you have. I had large desks with room for this tank, my computer, and my printer. If you don't, you might want to look into some hexagonal tanks. Generally, tall tanks aren't good for fishkeeping because they don't offer the fish as much room to swim, but in this case, they could be very helpful for keeping a few bettas in a small space.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #4 
Alcemistnv

Hello! I'm starting my sophomore year as well :D

As for the tanks, I started out with the basic 2 gallon bowl for Buddha, nothing too fancy. And now I'm getting a 5 gallon rectangular glass tank (again, not fancy). The size is perfect for a desk, and I can just put them in the corner and watch them as I study (yea, right).

Here is the tank i had last year

Also, I've already spoken to my room mate about the fish situation, so she knows that I will be putting them on my desk (we were originally going to put our desks side by side." She's also comfortable with the fish because she was there when I got Buddha.

My advice is to go with something easy to clean. I got lucky and my bathroom was right across from my room, but this year I'm not so lucky now, hence why I'm getting a filter.

It's all a matter of personal preference I guess
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #5 
Kadani

Hopefully I'll be starting my first setup since I was 7 in college. I just graduated so I'll be a freshman this year :)
Kadani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #6 
lilyrazen

I'm not in college YET, but I know all of the colleges I'm applying to allow 1 tank and all at least up to 10 gallons. I'm planning to take my ten and if I DO get the two I'm planning on getting this week, I'll divide it three ways.

That could be an option for you!
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #7 
puppyrjjkm

Thanks all! I think I'm going to take my 10 gal divided in two with one of my ADF's on each side. Then I purchased the betta wave 2.5 gal from walmart for $13!!! And put my 3rd boy in there as my desk tank, since he really isn't super active.
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote