Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #1 
Tazo

Excess Slime Coat or What?

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78*
Does your tank have a filter? No (I have one for it, not using it)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x per day, 3-5 pellets per feeding. It's a little more than most people recommend, but I've had no bloating, he's a very healthy fish. I fast him occasionally.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 2x per week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% and then 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Seachem Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Not tested, but I just changed the water on Saturday.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His appearance has not changed, but occasionally I can see translucent 'film' that SEEMS to be coming off of his body. It's not constant. I will try to get a pic the next time I see it, but it's whitish-translucent.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not at all. He are voraciously this morning, is doing normal stuff.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today's the first time I saw noticed it coming off his body (note that it could have just been in the water and he was swimming through it?) I've seen it before during water changes.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Haven't treated, because I'm not sure if it's even a problem or if I'm just a dork...
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Uh... maybe? He's a pet store fish, and when I got him he was pretty skinny (see avatar) and had black smudges on his side. I thought they were coloring, but they went away within two weeks. I don't know if it was a disease or what.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him for about a month and a half, I don't think he was very old when I got him. MAYBE 6 months at this point.

Ok, so it's kinda hard to see this film stuff, so I don't know if it's normal and I haven't noticed it before or not. My immediate thoughts are that it's just old or excess slime coat that's sloughing off into the water, OR that it's the infamous heater gunk. I'm kinda new to this betta thing, so I'm always over-concerned about stuff
I just want to make absolutely sure that it's not something I should be worrying about... Obviously not a life-or-death type situation here, but I figured I'd post in this board so that I could give all the information xD.
Tazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #2 
lvandert

he's just shedding his slime coat. I wouldn't worry about it. They shed it like we shed skin, it's healthy
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I did not know they shed their slime coat, thanks thats so good to know so I will not worry if this happens with Perseus and happy that my water conditioner aids in restoring slime coat. You might want to check your water conditioner and see if it helps with that.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #4 
lvandert

Even if it doesn't they'll grow it back easy enough. :D
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #5 
Tazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
he's just shedding his slime coat. I wouldn't worry about it. They shed it like we shed skin, it's healthy
Ok thanks! I'm a new betta parent, so, y'know xD
@Perseusmom - Yeah, I didn't know either. Prime does help with slime coat, so ^^
Tazo is offline   Reply With Quote