Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #11 
Oldfishlady

I wouldn't remove her for partial water changes.....the less you have to remove the Betta the better IMO/E
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #12 
teeneythebetta

Question

Also be sure that her water she is in is the same temp as the new water...
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #13 
cjschmelzer909

How exactly do I go about doing that, then? When I moved her into a bigger bowl, I just took a big water glass, filled it up with tap water, poured it in until the bowl was filled up and then put in the dechlorinator and let it sit for like 10 or 15 minutes before acclimating her. Should I pour the new water into a different container and then slowly pour it in after taking out some of the old water? And how should I get it to the same temperature? My bowl has a heater now, whereas the container with the new water wouldn't be heated...
cjschmelzer909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #14 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjschmelzer909 View Post
How exactly do I go about doing that, then? When I moved her into a bigger bowl, I just took a big water glass, filled it up with tap water, poured it in until the bowl was filled up and then put in the dechlorinator and let it sit for like 10 or 15 minutes before acclimating her. Should I pour the new water into a different container and then slowly pour it in after taking out some of the old water? And how should I get it to the same temperature? My bowl has a heater now, whereas the container with the new water wouldn't be heated...
Idk if there's any other way to do it but I just cup my betta and float her in the tank for at least 30 mins. If you slowly pour the new water in there will still be a big temp change which could be fatal.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #15 
ao
TFK Moderator

I mix hot and cold water until I get the same temp. it really depends on your tap water, butI havent had any negative effects from this practice yet :)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #16 
cjschmelzer909

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Idk if there's any other way to do it but I just cup my betta and float her in the tank for at least 30 mins. If you slowly pour the new water in there will still be a big temp change which could be fatal.
Okay, so just put her in a cup while she's still inside the bowl as opposed to netting her and taking her out of the bowl?

@OFL, I will try this sometime as well... I assume you put a thermometer into the container with new water while you mix the different temperatures?
Old 07-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #17 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjschmelzer909 View Post
Okay, so just put her in a cup while she's still inside the bowl as opposed to netting her and taking her out of the bowl?

@OFL, I will try this sometime as well... I assume you put a thermometer into the container with new water while you mix the different temperatures?
Yepp. Make sure that you don't over fill the cup, ensure air can get inside. :)
Old 07-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady

When making a partial water change-using either a siphon or cup...remove half the water and replace with like temp dechlorinated water....You don't need to remove the Betta...just be careful and don't siphon or dip them out along with the water. When replacing the water-use your clean free hand to pour the new water over to displace the flow-so you don't disturb the substrate or injure the fish.

I collect the replacement water from the tap-I adjust the water temp at the tap-I use a digital thermometer(found in the housewares dept for under $8.00) under the running water so that I can keep the replacement water within 10 degrees (more or less) of the tank water to fill my bucket that I use for water changes-I add the dechlorinator-give a stir and use.....the water is safe to use once the dechlorinator is added-it works on contact......

While it is important to try and keep the replacement water temp fairly close to the tank water temp...Generally with partial water changes-a healthy Betta can tolerate 10 degrees difference (more or less)...Extreme temp changes can be stressful especially on a sick or compromised Betta.

With 100% water change and you move the Betta to a holding container with a lid.
Re-acclimate back to the new chemistry and temp by adding small amount of the new tank water to their half full holding container until full....Repeat if needed....
Once acclimated-either net or allow the Betta to swim out of the holding container into the newly cleaned tank once you dumped half of that water out of the holding container......
Be sure and have a little extra water made up to use for a top-off if needed....

*Always-wash your hands before and after working on the tank
*Always-unplug the heater and filter before you make water changes
*If making the water change near a sink-plug the drain before you start (many Bettas have been lost down the drain)
If using a filter-be sure and give the filter media a rinse/swish in the bucket of old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month
Once you refill the tank and turn the filter back on-The water should clear within an hour-If not-you either missed a water change at some point, overfeeding and/or overstocked-this is with unfiltered tanks too.....the water should clear within the hour after a water change...
Remember to monitor the water temp for an hour after the water change.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #19 
cjschmelzer909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
When making a partial water change-using either a siphon or cup...remove half the water and replace with like temp dechlorinated water....You don't need to remove the Betta...just be careful and don't siphon or dip them out along with the water. When replacing the water-use your clean free hand to pour the new water over to displace the flow-so you don't disturb the substrate or injure the fish.

I collect the replacement water from the tap-I adjust the water temp at the tap-I use a digital thermometer(found in the housewares dept for under $8.00) under the running water so that I can keep the replacement water within 10 degrees (more or less) of the tank water to fill my bucket that I use for water changes-I add the dechlorinator-give a stir and use.....the water is safe to use once the dechlorinator is added-it works on contact......

While it is important to try and keep the replacement water temp fairly close to the tank water temp...Generally with partial water changes-a healthy Betta can tolerate 10 degrees difference (more or less)...Extreme temp changes can be stressful especially on a sick or compromised Betta.

With 100% water change and you move the Betta to a holding container with a lid.
Re-acclimate back to the new chemistry and temp by adding small amount of the new tank water to their half full holding container until full....Repeat if needed....
Once acclimated-either net or allow the Betta to swim out of the holding container into the newly cleaned tank once you dumped half of that water out of the holding container......
Be sure and have a little extra water made up to use for a top-off if needed....

*Always-wash your hands before and after working on the tank
*Always-unplug the heater and filter before you make water changes
*If making the water change near a sink-plug the drain before you start (many Bettas have been lost down the drain)
If using a filter-be sure and give the filter media a rinse/swish in the bucket of old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month
Once you refill the tank and turn the filter back on-The water should clear within an hour-If not-you either missed a water change at some point, overfeeding and/or overstocked-this is with unfiltered tanks too.....the water should clear within the hour after a water change...
Remember to monitor the water temp for an hour after the water change.
Thanks for all the info! Most of that I have been doing, but it's great to know I'm doing things correctly :)