Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #1 
stephanier

How often/how much do you feed your betta?

I've read a lot of conflicting information about how often and how much to feed bettas. I've seen once a day, twice a day, once a day but skipping one day a week, etc. So, how often and how much do you feed your betta?
stephanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #2 
bettasareawesome

Location: Iowa, Midwest, USA, North America, Earth, The Sol Star System, Milky Way
I feed my betta once a day.
bettasareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

It depends on what you feed. I feed my Betta New Life Spectrum as the staple diet. 2 pellets 3x a day. I also feed SMALL flakes every other day and bloodworms 2x a week. I fast my Betta 1 day a week. I don't like feeding once per day. I think it's better throughout.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #4 
Freyja
Banned

I feed twice a day for a total of six pellets, three in the am and three before I leave work. I feed bloodworms as a treat maybe twice a week. My Freyja fasts during the weekend.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #5 
vilmarisv

You will always get dozen of opinions on how and what you should feed your betta.
I think you should go with what you observe is best for your fish. An overfed fish will become fat and could suffer from constipation problems. An underfed fish will be too thin and his immune system will be affected.
You want to keeo them at a healthy weight and feed them the best foods you can get your hands on. This, combined with good water quality, is the best you can do for you fish.

What do I do? I feed my bettas Attison's Betta Pro once or twice a day, three to six pellets per meal (depending on the size of the fish), and never skip a day unless I'm not in town.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Welcome to the forum you can learn many answers to your questions here. I feed my Betta 3 pellets in the morning and 3 in the evening and the pellets are very small. What I feed is New Life Spectrum Betta Formula and he loves them. He gets a treat between meals about twice a week maybe 3 if he is a good boy..lol
For treats I give him a couple of freeze dried bloodworms which he also loves and will sometimes get so excited he jumps before I even drop them for him its so cute !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

Once a day for most. Three to four if I'm prepping them to breed.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:27 PM   #8 
cjschmelzer909

I've been feeding my baby betta 1 pellet 3 times a day... I'm trying not to overfeed her because I hear bettas have very small stomachs and she is still only about maybe a third of the size she'll be when she's full-grown. I may increase the amount sometime soon though because I think she's gotten a bit bigger... A couple days ago she couldn't fit a full pellet in her mouth and today she ate a full one easily.
cjschmelzer909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #9 
finnfinnfriend

I feed once a day, four or five pellets each time.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:00 AM   #10 
tanseattle

I feed 2x a day. It seems that my fish eat too much. 3 month girls eat more than 5 pellet each time and still looks hungry. Males eat 8 pellet easily and still look hungry.
tanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote