Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #11 
Spazzfish

Its kinda like a "Don't try this at home" kinda thing :D leave gender mixing to the people who know what they are doing ;)
Spazzfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #12 
lvandert

From what I've read and such its more a researched opinion. I would never try it myself, I'd be to worried about my fishies.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #13 
Mo

Ive done it multiple times with no issues at all
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #14 
lvandert

congratz! I'm happy it works for some people. There are probably a ton of factors to keeping them in divided tanks happily (plants, filters, water conditions and such). I still wouldn't personally recommend it to anyone lol. Would it be ok if I referred people to you for that sort of thing though?
Old 07-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #15 
Mo

Sure. all of my divided tanks are filtered, heated, have x2 weekly water changes and many plants. the dividers are custom cut plexi glass though
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #16 
lvandert

they look beautiful, so green! plexi glass makes a great divider! I've contemplated dividing a 55 halfway with plexi glass, I'd seal it though. Sorority on one side and divided bachelors on the other.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #17 
kfryman

OFL breed them to be able to live with each other, I believe they are al related, but from separate spawns. Domestic and wild bettas are much different anyways, some you can keep them in groups, others need to be kept alone. LBF has some of her wilds in groups. Domestic bettas were bred to be aggressive so that is why you can't simply put a male with a male or a male with a female as they are domestic and were bred to kill each other. Through breeding it is quite possible to breed aggression out, but it will be hard.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady

I don't recommend keeping males and females together...But this is more due to some hobbyist misunderstanding how to keep males and females together long term without issue.....You can't just toss them together and expect all to be fine....It can be done-just not with every male or female and/or in every setup....

I have been successful and have even been successful with unrelated males being kept with other males in 75gal NPT and males/females in 10-75gal heavy planted tanks-But I wouldn't recommend it...especially with new keepers and not with every Betta....some are more tolerant than others....

As far as keeping males and females together in divided tanks-generally that shouldn't be an issue....But....some can have problems....As the OP posted the hormone and pheromones can be problematic for some Betta.......since it can over stimulate them-while others it can desensitize them and make spawning harder and while others it has no ill effects one way or the other......

Female will always have unripe eggs in them once sexually mature and when she sense the male the eggs will start to ripen...This isn't always a bad thing since she will either drop, eat or not or reabsorb the eggs- but it can shorten her lifespan to a degree.

The OP does have good points to consider....
YOU DO NOT PUT A MALE AND FEMALE TOGETHER IN A COMMUNITY TANK!!!
But it is more due to hobbyist attempting it without more knowledge/understanding of the dynamics......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #19 
MrVampire181

With OFL on this...

I have kept both genders mixed in huge, planted tubs outdoors. But I know betta body language.

Male and female does not work. One can overpower and kill the other in a small tank.

Bettas, DO NOT LIKE OTHER FISH. THEY DO NOT WANT FRIENDS AND THEY DO NOT GET LONELY.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #20 
Luimeril

i have three of my bettas side-by-side. Delta, HMPK, PK. Ichi, Stephano, Lulu. Lu's never had issues with being able to see a male. Stephano loves showing off. it's boosted his confidence alot, imo. went from super shy boy who stayed clamped, to active boy who's always showing off. he flares at Ichi, hides in his plants when tired of that. flirts with Lulu, goes to sleep in plants. keeps Ichi active, as well. Lulu..... is getting old. she puts up with Stephano's eagerness, but generally ignores him. sometimes she flirts back, though. it's kinda cute...

as for keeeping males and females together.... my setup is the closest i'll get. i DID want to get a 5 and divide it between my rescues, but decided against it. because of the risk. i don't want to have to IM their savior and say 'well, Fritter passed away.... got eggbound and burst." that'd be horrid. D8
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote