Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #1 
katrina89

5.5 gallon divided?

Hey guys,
currently I have one male betta in a 5.5gallon long tank... I want to divide it and get another male betta... I was gonna make a divider out of the craft mesh... but do you think its enough room? I cant get a new tank yet, bec this tank is an upgrade tank... so i cant get a ten gallon yet... does anyone have divided betta tanks? they would roughly have 2.5 each to themselves
Attached Images

katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #2 
cjconcepcion

i think its fine, i have a divided tank that size
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #3 
teeneythebetta

Yes that is enough room for 2. Just be sure to keep an eye on your ammonia level, is the tank cycled?

If it isn't cycled, one 50% and one 100% change every week should do the trick. But like I said still use a liquid test kit to keep an eye on it :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #4 
Alcemistnv

Omg when you get it done PLEASE let me know! I'm doing the exact same thing!!! :D
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #5 
katrina89

Thanks guys... this other fish forum i know always tells me that 5 gallon is the min for a betta... and i would love another one... my husband is gonna help me with the divider and then fri after the new shipment of betta
Old 07-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #6 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina89 View Post
Thanks guys... this other fish forum i know always tells me that 5 gallon is the min for a betta... and i would love another one... my husband is gonna help me with the divider and then fri after the new shipment of betta
I personally like bettas to have 2.5 gal each or more, but it really comes down to water changes & temperature to me. If it is heated and you are dedicated to doing the appropriate water changes, that is good.
It truly comes down to opinion.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #7 
katrina89

Yea, I am vigilant about water changes... atm he doesnt have a heater bec its so hot in our apt that his water is at 84 degrees... we plan on buying a heater for winter tho
Old 07-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #8 
teeneythebetta

Great :)
Oh also be sure to quarantine the new guy for 2 weeks before putting him in the big tank or the newbie could transfer disease/illness to your exuding guy.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #9 
lvandert

I'm splitting the same tank for two girls. I'm just now waiting for it to finish up (should be tomorrow) and they go in. as long as you keep up on water changes your good!
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #10 
katrina89

Update: So I went to petco and saw some bettas I liked.... but then my husband picked up a tank ornament and said in a sad face that if we got the divider we wouldnt be able to decorate the tank as cool as we might have.... and its hard bec hes right...then all of a sudden i got very confused about what I wanted... whether i even thought the betta was cute or whether I wanted to divide the tank... im at a loss for what to do with the tank so at the moment I chose to do nothing... maybe ill go by petsmart and petco this fri after their new shipment and change my mind... who knows... maybe ill get him a tankmate... who knows... im open to suggestions