Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #1 
MSG

Angry Hot Peppers & Betta = death/blindness?

This is a serious question. I'm not sure where to post it.

I just had lunch & I cut up a dozen jalapeno peppers for my paninis. I've washed my hands THOUROUGHLY, but i can still feel the capsaicin on my skin.

Hypothetically.... if I was to move things around the betta tank, could I possibly injure/blind the betta from the capsaicin getting into their water?

Let me know because I've always wondered about this, but whenever I tried to find an answer, I always get fish recipes instead.

MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #2 
Alcemistnv

I'm sure if you can still feel it, then it might still be on your hands....

But I'm not 100% sure
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #3 
ZubinBetta

Do you have a box of medical latex/nitrile gloves? They will be in the medicine/first aid section of any large grocery store. No need to take a chance.
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #4 
ZergyMonster

I eat ghost pepper all the time (Hottest chili known to date) and I have put my hands in my tank from time to time after I used this chili. I haven't seen any negative effects but I will advise you that it is best to get your hands as clean as you can get them before your put them in your tank.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #5 
lelei

Yea, the Capsasin should be washed off, that has chemicals in it, that could mix with the water, prob worse than the chili's..you should always wash your hands really good, whenever you put your hand in the tank, however since where you may be using soap, just wait for a little while, and rinse again, water only.. dry real well..wait again, if possible before putting in your hands as there may be soap residue left over too.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #6 
TipBetta

I'm not sure if it is harmful or not, but better safe than sorry. Like zuben said, try some latex gloves.
TipBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #7 
MSG

Yes I do have vinyl, latex, nitrile glove. But at the time, I was starving, and I didn't have time to grab gloves.

Also I try to save the gloves for when I'm messing with stuff that I don't want to ingest, like paint, mortar or motor oil.

I think the only way I could remove the capsaicin entirely is washing my hands in HOT soapy water.

However, if I wash with HOT water, then I'll have to use lotion after.

I've kept fish for at least 5 years now & I don't think I've ever had a problem with this, but would be good to know if it's worth being paranoid. Currently I have at least 2-3 lbs of jalapeno/scotch bonnet peppers left, so it'll be on the menu for the next couple days.

Have you guys eaten garlic raw? That stuff burns your throat just like peppers do.

If the bettas can eat garlic soaked pellets, I don't think a little bit of hot pepper juice will do them much harm.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #8 
ZubinBetta

I was thinking that you might use the gloves after your hands had been in the peppers and before putting your hands in the tank. It's also a good idea to use gloves if you have a wound on your hands somewhere, because bacteria in the fishtank can add insult to injury.

Last edited by ZubinBetta; 07-16-2012 at 08:14 PM. Reason: second sentence
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #9 
MSG

Hey ZB,

As a general rule, I always wash my hands for at least 20 seconds whenever I touch the tanks. Gloves don't work well for routine tank maintenance because water always gets inside which sort of defeats the purpose.

I was just hoping someone had some experience with possibly getting chili oils in the fish tank. hehe...

Zergy - WOW! You eat ghost chilis on a regular basis? I'm assuming you use gloves when you slice it up, correct?

Anything like a thai chili and above, I would use gloves & glasses.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:31 PM   #10 
ZergyMonster

I just toss whatever I have in a sandwich or soup(tastes AWESOME!) I don't slice mine up as I like them whole.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote