Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #1 
lvandert

Males and Females together...

Before I go off this is not about anyone specific, I've come across more than a handful of people doing this and to be honest it's getting to me.

YOU DO NOT PUT A MALE AND FEMALE TOGETHER IN A COMMUNITY TANK!!!

If your spawning then yes by all mean put them together, but NOT in a community tank, or any tank no matter how heavily planted you think you have it.

I saw too many posts last week (and it seems to be continuing into this week) about people saying their girl betta is sick but on the "tank mates" part of the forum they have "a male betta..."

*face palm*

to quote Mythbusters "Well there's your problem!"

And no you cannot just divide and have everything be better, the hormones and pheromones released into the water will still stress the heck out of your fish! Females will still get eggy, males will be on guard looking for her.

"I can smell you but I can't see you."

the only solution for houseing males and females together is SEPARATE tanks.

Please people do your research before just throwing them together.

Last edited by lvandert; 07-16-2012 at 01:38 PM.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #2 
LizzyP

I've also heard of people putting females and males in seperate cups next to eachother while doing water changes and the females still get eggy. So I agree. Seperate tanks & not close to one another.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #3 
Mo

If you have a large enough tank it can definitely be done... How do you think they survive in the wild. The establish there own territory.. if the tank is large enough for them to have there own territory. theoretically it CAN be done. OFL is an example as well as people very large tanks and outdoor ponds
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #4 
lvandert

True. The average 10 or 20 gallon isn't going to do it though. That and the people posting about having issues don't keep them in a huge tank.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #5 
Tikibirds

Doesn't OFL have a big tank with males and females together? By big, I mean like a 55 gallon..Someone does but I am not sure who.

On a side note, I had a 3 way divided with a female in the middle. Never had any problem or any signs of a problem.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 07-16-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #6 
Mo

Yes. I agree. It cannot be done in the average tank but theoretically It can be done with the proper precautions. I think its 75. Look at her album pics
Old 07-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #7 
lvandert

That woman really is amazing with her fish though. She has trained them not to tip (how I have no clue) lol.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #8 
Mo

Yeah. I also disagree with male and female not being in a divided tank. Being eggy is nothing to worry about... and they dont get stressed at all IME
Old 07-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #9 
lvandert

I could fight with you about hormones and such but these are opinions and we're each entitled to our own.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #10 
Mo

Hormones and such dont stress out the fish. I dont know where you sources come from. Personal experience.. and research. or just listening to someone else?