Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #11 
Catfish Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
What I'm wondering is where do these 11 and 12 year old kids get the money to buy all kinds of fish stuff or buy expensive fish off of Aquabid. I NEVER had any money when I was that age. My friend and I each had a dollar to buy penny and nickel candy and split a grape soda.
Well I'm 12 and I get my money from selling my old stuff on eBay, presents (cash) from friends/family at Christmas etc. and doing jobs around the house. A lot of children now are spoilt (including me!).

EDIT: I'm young but I'm almost "religious" about doing water changes etc. In fact, my parents think I over-do my fish maintenance. XD

Last edited by Catfish Billy; 07-17-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Catfish Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

I get disappointed too...but for a different reason...Not at the new to the hobby members regardless of age...but at the more experienced members that are overly critical and judgmental of new to the hobby members or that keep their Betta different...not wrong...just different.....

Lots of different ways to keep, spawn, rear fry of this species.....

You asked why some members don't tell the truth.....If they do tell the truth they may get bashed/flamed...etc.....due to the other members being overly critical and not understanding that there is more than one correct way to keep this species.....

We all had to start someplace, learn, grow and find our way......

See one-Do one-Teach one and you will remember it forever.....

What does it matter how old the person or where/how they get the money...

What does matter-in my opinion.......that the hobbyist is treated with respect and given the guidance to become a good fish keeper by providing them the information-the tools to help them find their own way to becoming a successful fish keeper.

New fish keepers are the future of the hobby...without them the hobby would fade away......

If you get tired of seeing the same questions...don't answer them.....You can't force your ideas on other...You can only control YOU....not others and when you allow others to get under your skin....they are in control of YOU........

When a hobbyist ask for help, joins a forum...etc.....In my opinion-tells me that they do Care and want to do what is right....This is the first step and it is our job as experienced hobbyist to guide them-to help them-Not judge them, be overly critical...etc......

Be respectful, voice your opinion and move on....the new hobbyist will either take the advice or not....we can't force it on them....

Success or failure....that is on them.......all we can do is provide the information based on our opinion, experience and experiments.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #13 
Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish Billy View Post
Well I'm 12 and I get my money from selling my old stuff on eBay, presents (cash) from friends/family at Christmas etc. and doing jobs around the house. A lot of children now are spoilt (including me!).

EDIT: I'm young but I'm almost "religious" about doing water changes etc. In fact, my parents think I over-do my fish maintenance. XD
+1. I get a bunch of money from selling live aquatic plants, and live food cultures on Aquabid and on here. The money builds up pretty quick.. And also, I do over water changes according to my parents. I do water changes every day on my tanks.
The view from my room :) I bought all of the tubs, and one of the ten gallons with my money. The other one was free. So were all of the jars. And this isn't even close to all of my tanks... This is just the view from my bed o.o

Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #14 
tpocicat

Just remember the Golden Rule and treat others the way you want to be treated, and we'll all be happy.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #15 
Calypso77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I get disappointed too...but for a different reason...Not at the new to the hobby members regardless of age...but at the more experienced members that are overly critical and judgmental of new to the hobby members or that keep their Betta different...not wrong...just different.....

Lots of different ways to keep, spawn, rear fry of this species.....

You asked why some members don't tell the truth.....If they do tell the truth they may get bashed/flamed...etc.....due to the other members being overly critical and not understanding that there is more than one correct way to keep this species.....

We all had to start someplace, learn, grow and find our way......

See one-Do one-Teach one and you will remember it forever.....

What does it matter how old the person or where/how they get the money...

What does matter-in my opinion.......that the hobbyist is treated with respect and given the guidance to become a good fish keeper by providing them the information-the tools to help them find their own way to becoming a successful fish keeper.

New fish keepers are the future of the hobby...without them the hobby would fade away......

If you get tired of seeing the same questions...don't answer them.....You can't force your ideas on other...You can only control YOU....not others and when you allow others to get under your skin....they are in control of YOU........

When a hobbyist ask for help, joins a forum...etc.....In my opinion-tells me that they do Care and want to do what is right....This is the first step and it is our job as experienced hobbyist to guide them-to help them-Not judge them, be overly critical...etc......

Be respectful, voice your opinion and move on....the new hobbyist will either take the advice or not....we can't force it on them....

Success or failure....that is on them.......all we can do is provide the information based on our opinion, experience and experiments.......
+1000 to you Hun. I think you hit the nail on the head.
Calypso77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #16 
Alcemistnv

+10000 to everyone who posted on this thread :)

I'm pretty sure everyone was able to say it a LOT better than I could ^^
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #17 
Catfish Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
+1. I get a bunch of money from selling live aquatic plants, and live food cultures on Aquabid and on here. The money builds up pretty quick.. And also, I do over water changes according to my parents. I do water changes every day on my tanks.
The view from my room :) I bought all of the tubs, and one of the ten gallons with my money. The other one was free. So were all of the jars. And this isn't even close to all of my tanks... This is just the view from my bed o.o
I think you're how I will turn out in a year or so!

I bought my 14 gal with my own birthday money! Don't even ask.....
Catfish Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #18 
Mo

Lol. I bought my 16 gallon with my christmas money. Spent the rest on fish supplies and put about 10-20 in my savings account
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

I didn't mean to offend anyone when I said I wonder where kids get their money. I think it's gteat to do odd jobs and save birthday /Christmas money. I guess things were just different in my day. Lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:24 AM   #20 
lvandert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso77 View Post
This makes me sad. Why have children if you can't spend your time on them. The world is a harsh place sad but true.
Unfortunately, I don't know about where your guys live/attend highschool, but as I was graduating (2008) babies were becoming a fashion statement. Every young girl wanted a baby to "put cute baby clothes on". and I literally wanted to throw up. It made me so sick to see these young women doing this at that age. Heck I have a friend who has 3 kids and she's only 20, saddly by 3 different guys too. I've heard horror stories of girls sabotaging condoms to get pregnant And now those babies are growing up in a completely different situation. It's like people wanting to get a puppy and then realizing its a lot of work/money and wanting to give it away. I'm sorry but I think the show "I'm 16 and pregnant" should be kicked off the air. It's so horrible. Your not even an adult yet, you should be busy being a kid, not raising a kid. And sadly this will be at least 50% of the next generation :( We can only hope they get taught respect and responsibility
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote