Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2012, 10:41 PM   #1 
Firefly85

do you ever feel

well do you ever feel bad for not bring that poor fish store betta home?

I was at petco today and i now lots of you all have complainants about how petco/petsmart keeps bettas, and i agree.
even though our store seems to care a little more since i have seem them regularly clean out the cups.

I feel really bad for not taking this girl home, she was a crown tail, i couldnt tell her colors to well, slivery and she had horizontal stripes she was flipping and jumping around in her cup as if to say here i am take me home, get me the heck outta this cup please.

I was with my sister and i told her one the way to pick up my husband that, i would be thinking about her all night more than likely. i feel soo bad for not getting her.
Firefly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #2 
Alcemistnv

Actually, it's the opposite for me.

The LPS by my college had bettas from Thailand, and all were stunning. Except for Buddha. He was a little dull xD And the LPS where I live also has great bettas.

It's kinda more like, I just want to take them all home because they're nice and healthy.

((am I the only one that when I see "Do you ever feel" I start singing Firework by katy perry?
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #3 
toad

Yes, I get that feeling every single time I see those fish. I'm in Petco a lot (it's the only store around here that sells the only food my dog can eat) and, honestly the cups are usually pretty clean. I just feel bad that an animal is living in a half cup of water :( However, I was in Walmart the other day, and I nearly took all five of those poor bettas home - they looked so sickly and despondent :'( Just another reason to Hate Walmart.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #4 
LinkLover

I definitely always feel that way. I look at the poor, sickly bettas at my local Petco and think "I know how to treat that illness." or "I could TOTALLY save him!" and yet I don't have the money or room for them. I feel guilty every single time I have to leave the store without one.
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:00 AM   #5 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
Yes, I get that feeling every single time I see those fish. I'm in Petco a lot (it's the only store around here that sells the only food my dog can eat) and, honestly the cups are usually pretty clean. I just feel bad that an animal is living in a half cup of water :( However, I was in Walmart the other day, and I nearly took all five of those poor bettas home - they looked so sickly and despondent :'( Just another reason to Hate Walmart.
Only five at Walmart? That's at least doable...my dang Walmart always has about 30 of them, and now they have these stupid new cups with the one hole in the center, and they stack them! How the heck are they going to breathe if you put another cup on top of the hole! I spent yesterday and today, spreading out the poor Walmart Bettas. Sigh...
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:13 AM   #6 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
Only five at Walmart? That's at least doable...my dang Walmart always has about 30 of them, and now they have these stupid new cups with the one hole in the center, and they stack them! How the heck are they going to breathe if you put another cup on top of the hole! I spent yesterday and today, spreading out the poor Walmart Bettas. Sigh...

I live in the Middle-Of-Nowhere, so I have a craptastically small and decrepit Walmart. Yesterday, I went back to check on the fish and took some pictures. The bettas are on a little wire rack hanging off the endcap (I think it's called a PowerWing) and I've only seen a couple every time I'm there. Granted, I'm not there that often, because the store skeeves me out. The cups had definitely not been cleaned that day, and the fish look to be on the brink of death.

The regular aquariums are barren, holding nothing but fish, and they are so coated in green spots and fish waste, you can barely see into some of them. The tank floors are littered with dead bodies, and the tanks were left unlit.

I pestered someone in the Garden Dept. about it, then sent off a little note to Corporate. I am irritated that they deliberately make you contact them through their website instead of providing an email address; I requested that they send me a valid email so I could share my photos.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:17 AM   #7 
TheCrabbyTabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcemistnv View Post
((am I the only one that when I see "Do you ever feel" I start singing Firework by katy perry?
I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't really know the lyrics to that song. So no, I don't start spontaneously breaking out into that song.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:18 AM   #8 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrabbyTabby View Post
I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't really know the lyrics to that song. So no, I don't start spontaneously breaking out into that song.

I know the words :) But I didn't make the connection, so I wasn't singing it lol...
Old 07-19-2012, 08:05 AM   #9 
fleetfish

Whenever I rescue a betta the first song that I spontaneously burst into is "Born Free" . . . it's kind of awkward.

But yeah, I do feel bad. If there's one that I think I can save I'll go for it. That's how I've gotten most of mine. They're either pathetic looking - emaciated, torn fins, pale/lethargic - or just okay, or the last one on the shelf, or marked down because they were sick. I can find the saddest looking VT and take him home. I did that yesterday . . . brought home a tiny pale little thing and he's coloured up into a pink dalmatian and has a bubblenest going on :)

Last edited by fleetfish; 07-19-2012 at 08:16 AM.
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #10 
LizzyP

I do feel bad. But, by buying fish from places like Petsmart/Petco/Walmart only makes them restock the fish. Yeah, you saved one from a bad home or bad conditions, but you can't save them all. So instead I started boycotting buying fish from stores and trying to spread "betta awareness" so others know how to take care of a betta and keep it in good health, but also to show stores that we don't like how bettas are kept.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote