Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2012, 11:24 PM   #1 
Visa356

Exclamation I Forgot To Cycle!?!

ok so i went to petsmart to buy the aquarium and stuff so i could cycle, but them once i got there i completely forgot about that and bought everything, now its the second day, of it running, the water is fairly cloudy, and the ammonia level is at about 0.25 - 0.50 in that range it was closer to 0.25 last i checked but idk im kinda having a breakdown of guilt and sadness. So my worries are that now i hav to cycle fish in, (my tank is 3.5gal will it even cycle?) my betta is still swimming around happy but im really worried that it might spike overnight and it might die while im sleeping! also would tetra safestart help? i only have an ammonia test kit right now, but i will get one for nitrite and nitrate soon, how often and how big water changes should i do to ensure that she stays alive? im really worried and now i feel bad because i could kill my fish, im really bent out of shape about this, i checked the ammonia levels 3 times in the coarse of 3 hours because i was so affrain, pleas help!
Visa356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:32 PM   #2 
xjenuhfur

A 3.5gal can cycle, but its hard to keep a cycle in a tank that small. Don't freak out, you'll be fine. :) Just keep up with your water changes and your betta will be fine.

When was the last time you changed the water, and did you buy water conditioner?
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:36 PM   #3 
Visa356

i bought "TopFin Betta Water Conditioner" it takes out chlorine, and it says it works to neutralize ammonia, does it? and im going to do daily water changes of about 25-30%, and test daily for the first week or so, if it gets to 0.50 or over a 50% maybe? sound good?, oh and the last time i did was this morning (or i guess yesterday morning now that its 12:30) and I set it up monday morning, let it run and then put the fish in at night, now is the cloudyness a bacteria bloom? or could it be from my white gravel, i cleaned it really well so it probably isnt, any ideas on how to get rid of it?

Last edited by Visa356; 07-17-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:59 PM   #4 
xjenuhfur

Probably a bacterial bloom. I can't see why you would have so much ammonia if you do a water change every day. When I set up my Biorb tank, I got the bacterial bloom within the first few days, but I just kept up the partial water changes and eventually the filter established itself. It didn't take that long, for it to be completely gone.

What is your ammonia out of the tap? Also, a good conditioner is Prime. Also, API makes a good water conditioner.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:02 AM   #5 
Visa356

it might be, she eats half the food i give her and spits the other half, i have read that aqueon really puts ammonia in if you don't get it all out, so the amounts of water i said should be fine?
Old 07-18-2012, 12:22 AM   #6 
xjenuhfur

Well if you just got the fish its perfectly normal for her not to eat immediately. Most of them take a few days (some like to take it to the extreme and go for a few weeks) to go without eating.

Just keep up with the 25% changes, and see if the ammonia goes down. Get a good water conditioner, and don't panic. :) Not panicking was the hardest part for me.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:23 AM   #7 
Visa356

K Thanks soo much! im a little more calm now, about how long until the cloudyness goes away, and again thanks for the quick response!
Old 07-18-2012, 12:34 AM   #8 
xjenuhfur

Uhm it depends, it can take a few days until the filter establishes itself.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:38 AM   #9 
Visa356

well thanks for the info!
Old 07-18-2012, 07:41 AM   #10 
Freyja
Banned

Get live plants! They help with water conditions.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote