Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #1 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
hey multiple betta keepers- Tips for keeping so many?

I'm new to bettas (a few months) but have become addicted to these little guys and everything about them. What I wonder is, those of you that have very many (and not for breeding where you'd keep them in little jars temporarily). . do you have tips for keeping up with so many water changes, or tanks . .etc? Do you keep them all in their own 1 gallon tanks or do you have large divided tanks? When do you stop getting more, did you make yourself a little rule of thumb for when you allow yourself to get another?

Just wondering about all these things. Feel free to elaborate or go on a related tangent.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:38 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

I have: a 20 long, two 20s (one divided), three 10s (one divided), a 40, plus numerous 3 gallons and under for bettas.

I suggest, for having bigger tanks especially, getting a "python hose" which in petsmart they have one like it, AND IT WILL SAVE YOUR ARMS FROM BUCKETS!! =D Yesterday I moved a total of.... I duno....over 200 gallons BY MYSELF x.x by bucket. a 3 gallon bucket. Do the math for the trips! =D

Anyways, cycling tanks SAVES you from doing massive water changes. Quarantine tanks are your best friends. You do a divided tank (say...a 40 long, divided into 4) you want those quarantines to keep all of them healthy and disease free.

umm..... kijiji, craigslist, second hand stores, word of mouth... those too are your best friends =D I got many of my tanks...most of my tanks...second hand. Found in someone's pile of trash on the curb behind my house, with two huge filter systems, the second hand store was awesome for under 10 dollars usually WITH a heater, second hand under 60, or sometimes free...

Vinegar and hot hot water for the second hand stuff works wonders.

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 06-07-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:40 AM   #3 
SarahandOscar

i got 5 (4 x CT 1 x FT) within a month and they were all in 1 gal until i noticed fin rot. i was doing the 1 x 50% and 1 x 100% changes religiously but i guess they required more, i lost one (RIP TELLY) freaked out and went and bought them all 2.5 gal tanks, they all had to first go through 7 - 10 day AQ salt treatments in their now vacant 1 gals and the last 2 move into their forever homes (2.5gals) tonight so i'm super excited. I plan on getting another 4 (cause i have the room and have fallen in love) and have decided to create a roster for water changes.

W/C T1 T2 T3 T4 T5 T6 T7 T8
MON 100% 100%
TUES 100% 100%
WED 50% 50% 50% 50%
THURS 50% 50%
FRI 50% 50%
SAT 100% 100%
SUN 100% 100%

now i have more time on weekends so i can do more 100% changes then and on Thurs nights i have date night with the bf so i have the least to do that night... depends on individual's study/work/school/social life i guess... the above works for me and my bf as we live in a tiny granny flat and it's easy for him to get frustrated with all my fish related stuff so i do a bit a day and it's not overwhelming for wither of us.
SarahandOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:43 AM   #4 
SarahandOscar

SIGH.. the above table didn't work at all....ummm i'll try make it a pic and repost sorry.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:47 AM   #5 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Yeah it sounds like I need to figure out how to drain and fill tanks with hoses .. my mom made fun of me yesterday because she said I spent all evening changing water. I protested that I was also cleaning things, and tying plants to driftwood, etc.. . but yeah .. I want more bettas but I can see taking so much time testing water. .. changing water. . .etc. That is why I wondered if dividing a bigger tank (once I know the inhabitants are disease-free) would be better. I wouldn't have to keep buying a filter and thermometer for each, testing each one . . . and in the fall buying mulitple heaters? (I'm in Arizona and my tanks are almost 80 degrees now withOUT heaters . . but maybe that will change after summer.)

When I get back to living alone I'd love to have a tank in every room . . . muah ha ha . . . (evil laugh)
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:49 AM   #6 
SarahandOscar

Fingers crossed this worked better haha
Attached Images
File Type: pdf schedule.pdf (4.5 KB, 50 views)
Old 06-07-2012, 12:53 AM   #7 
Enkil

Gravel vac. Works wonders for water changes.

I have a 10 gal sorority. Live plants in there. Seems to help and the ladies love the floating plants.

10 gal divided between 3 brothers. This is for my HM dragon boys. They've remained happy and healthy with this setup though Egil is a tail biter.

5 gallon:
This is Gwynfor's home. Since he is a short finned male, he needs more space. He swims very fast ALL over the place.

10 gal divided in half:
Home to Frost and Uther. New tank and fish. They seem to be settling in fine.

10 gal divided in 4:
Home to Sholto and 3 unnamed males. New fish, tank, and setup. They seem to have settled in and are doing very well. *knocks on wood*

3.5 gallon:
Home to the infamous Hannibal. He is my daughter's fish. We have had him since Jan. I love his tank. He might get upgraded to a bigger one as he's a pretty large fish.

I tend to do all my water changes the same day. I have filtered tanks and all my tanks have live plants. This cuts back on my water changes. Anything 5 gals and up gets cycled so long as it has a filter. Ones without filters get water changes every few days (I am not paranoid at all)
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:54 AM   #8 
Enkil

I use a 5 gal bucket for my water changes. Makes things easier. I also have my boyfriend lug it up the stairs. XD
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:55 AM   #9 
SarahandOscar

I know what you mean, 8 hours went by one day and i wasn't even half way through what i wanted to get done. when my boys are healthy again i'll prob test the water every day for 2 weeks with each of the tanks to figure out the schedule for each - some poop more than others = ammonia builds up quicker etc and once i have it down pat i won't have to check as much cause i know when is best for the individual tanks. I siphon the tanks where they are so it's less movement for the fish and drain it into a bucket then refill the tanks with a large bowl slowly to not push the boys around. it really doesn't take me long at all, i've figured out how to hand test the water temp and i'm pretty much dead on every time (tested with thermometer just in case) and my boys love the fresh water (prime + stresscoat) so i don't have to spend an hour aclimatising them i do one bowl at a time over bout 15 mins. no hoses, minimal piles of tanks to clean and we're all one big happy family lol
Old 06-07-2012, 12:56 AM   #10 
Twilight Storm

I personally feel knowing what you are capable of caring for is most important. (and don't lie to yourself now!)

Figure on 4 years per betta. That is give or take on years. Tank size determines some of the frequency and amount of water changes. You need to figure in that it's weekly care x how many tanks you have. Then ask yourself if you can do that amount of work for 4 years weekly for your pets on top of your job, caring for other pets, taking care of your family, having a boyfriend/girlfriend etc.

I limited myself to 8 pet bettas, their tank sizes vary. Loving bettas makes it very hard to walk by all those cups in the pet stores. Especially when you find one that picks you, or you find one with a personality that you connect with strongly.

My best advise I can give would be to take it slow if you can. Don't dive in over your head and then loose the betta bug and end up resenting the little guys you loved so much in the beginning. :) Heck even with 1 or two bettas, you will probably amass a great horde of fish supplies within a short period of time! LOL I have a plastic 10 gallon tote filled with goodies... Extras, stuff I got and will never use but can't return, extra filters, lightbulbs, plastic decorations... Often you find yourself gathering tanks too. It's amazing how many of your friends probably have a 10 gallon aquarium they never plan on using again. :D This makes it hard not to divide and get more bettas, but keep in mind what you can take care of and you will find your magic number.

A siphon and a large fish-only bucket with aged gallons of water dechlorinated and ready to go for water changes makes the water changes easier for me. I am always interested in a better way to make water changes faster though :)

Edited to comment: Wow no one had posted when I started writing this post LOL!

Last edited by Twilight Storm; 06-07-2012 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Just amazes me how slowly I type
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote