Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2012, 02:58 AM   #1 
magnum

Bloodworm advice?

I literally just came back from my LFS were I was about to buy some Bloodworms. Iv'e never fed my Betta's Bloodworms before, so I asked for some advice from the pet store manager and she told me 'In fact, bloodworms are bad for your betta's they block the internal system, my local breeder told me this.' 'He also told me that once a fortnight, it is best to feed your Betta a frozen pea, with the skin removed and so forth.'

I left the pet store and headed home so I could see your guys opinion on this, cause I trust it WAY more than the muppets at pet stores.
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:05 AM   #2 
Shirleythebetta

I feed mine freeze dried blood worms once a week or once every other week. Never an issue. What I do is rotate the treat. I rotate between bloodworms and mysis. Daphnia occasionaly the day before I fast and you don't need to feed your betta a pea. You don't really need to feed it a Pea ever for that matter.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:07 AM   #3 
Shirleythebetta

What I do in more detail. I alternate for 5 days a week between flakes and pellets. 1 day a week they get a treat of either bloodworms, mysis or daphnia (sometimes live ants) and 1 day I fast them.

I am not recommending this I was just trying to illustrate that bloodworms are okay as long as you use them as a treat once a week. You can even buy them in flake form.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:07 AM   #4 
magnum

Yeah I heard about pea's and such being bad. I wonder who her local breeder is then. She was also feeding them 6 Bloodworms a day.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:10 AM   #5 
Shirleythebetta

Yea thats a little to much in my opinion. I feed mine like one or two depending on the fish. Some of my piggys can eat. I don't think they are necessarily bad. I just don't use them. People use them for bloat. I use daphnia for that instead. Peas are unnecessary.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:15 AM   #6 
deso

Well, it depends on whether you were buying freeze-dried, frozen, or live bloodworms. Each comes with their own set of problems. Some bettas get constipated after eating the freeze-dried ones (especially if they're fed FD bloodworms as a main part of their diet), and live bloodworms always have the risk of parasites coming in with them. Frozen would probably be your best bet, but they don't keep for long, and if you only have a few bettas to feed, it'll be a massive waste of money. Personally, I've never had issues with feeding my fish freeze-dried bloodworms, but then again, I only give the bloodworms twice a week in very small quantities as a treat.

There's a big argument of sorts when it comes to feeding bettas peas. Some say that it works for them, but personally, I'm in the camp that says it's not good for them. It irritates their digestive system enough to expel any blockage, but ruins their delicate stomachs bit by bit.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:22 AM   #7 
magnum

Well, I'm assuming these were freeze-dried bloodworms. They were in cubes, so I'm not sure how I was actually supposed to feed them... I have three betta's so it probably would be okay for the cost. Plus, I would only feed them bloodworms twice a week.

Yeah, everyone around seems to have a different perspective on pea's. All in all, I hate that petstore, the Betta's were practically sitting in their own waste.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:34 AM   #8 
Shirleythebetta

If they are cold and in cubes they are frozen. I sugest the ones you find in the fish food aisle (the freeze dried) once a week. Just one or two depending on how much yours eat. They will eat the poo out of the flake version. it doesn't have to be in wormy form.

As mentioned by deso, the frozen ones don't keep and the live ones can have nasty's. I personally wouldn't risk it. Plus I prefer the freeze dried since they last a long time.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:43 AM   #9 
magnum

Sounds better than the frozen ones. I havn't seen any freeze dried ones in Aus, but hopefully I'll be able to find them soon (:
Old 07-17-2012, 03:57 AM   #10 
Enkil

I no longer feed freeze dried to any but Hannibal. Risk of constipation is too great but he seems to have an iron stomach.

This is the diet I feed all but Hannibal:
- Pellets
- Frozen blood worms. You can cut/break small amounts to thaw that way you don't waste any. This is what I used to do but now I have enough that a cube is used up within 24 hours.
- Frozen mosquito larvae
- Live/frozen brine shrimp
- Frozen daphnia if constipated.

I feed 2 different kinds of pellets. Most get the NLS betta pellets. Hannibal, Odin, and Uther get a bigger pellet (I forget the brand at the moment).
I vary their diet from day to day and they have 1 fast day a week, The only time they don't fast is when I am conditioning for breeding.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote