Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2012, 04:20 AM   #1 
DormDrax

Tragedy Strikes: One Shell of a Mystery

It was a warm night on the tank of the Late Drax, the new Betta Sotto was patrolling as the Tetras played below and the lone Bamboo shrimp sat on the water onion and fed...

Wait? One Bamboo shrimp?

*gasp*

A large white shrimp lays among the Anubias...

NOOOO!....... Oh....

A closer look shows the the shell is hollow, but the shrimp is nowhere to be found.

Synopsis...
MY TANK IS AWESOME!

A successful molting and hiding of the larger Bamboo Shrimp, and is now in hiding (also successful).

Question: Do I remove the shell? Or does it dissolve? .... Kinda want to leave it and have mom discover it (I'm evil lol).
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:26 AM   #2 
DormDrax

Conclusion:
Bad hider...
While laying in bed noticed something on the sponge by the filter... The newly molted shrimp hanging there like a bat feeding. NEVERMIND apparently the stress level is so low my bamboo shrimp can just molt and resume feeding XD
Old 07-17-2012, 04:44 AM   #3 
Aus

LOL - great post.

That is AWESOME! Your tank is indeed a great one.

And leave the shell.. it's a source of calcium for plants/shrimp (dunno if wood shrimp eat the shell, but rcs sure do..).

Your poor mum!
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:01 AM   #4 
DormDrax

That's what I read... About the shell (came here first but then googled info lol)

I'm even finding odd ways to make sure they eat without forgetting about Sotto or the Tetras... Just sprinking in fish food which Sotto eats right away but when it spins around and gets hit by the filter it showers gently all over so the Tetras go mad and the shrimp get plenty in their fans...

oh don't worry I've upped the cleaning abit but just water... Those two shrimp have done a splendid job of eating the fallen food.

Scavenging or not scavenging they get enough food since they seem to find a perch but then also about half the time wander around.

Odd bow they always say use a 20gallon...

Maybe that's best but *shrugs* they say they die in the first week if you don't know what your doing... Zo... Going on week three... Apparently I'm doing something right haha
Old 07-17-2012, 05:09 AM   #5 
Aus

I think it's more to do with water quality than size, so you must be really on top of that if they're so happy as to molt and carry on feeding.. though those shrimps do get to about 4 inches? So maybe you'll have to upgrade eventually. =P

I've been reading about various foods for these shrimp.. some people turkey-baster special shrimp food in front of them at feed-times to make sure they get enough. But yours seem to be happy enough.. one thing I read though is that if they are wandering the bottom of the tank at all, increase their food a bit.

Glad they're doing well for you. Some pics would be cool.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:32 AM   #6 
Silverfang

I'm glad you made this post. I've been pondering getting one and their eating habits was just one of the many concerns. Still on the wall, but after hearing this I have more hope that one day I might!
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote