Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #91 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancex View Post
I was out this morning in the god-awful heat. Yuck. Me and a boarder trailered to a local riding park/woods and hit the trails for an hour or so. I love the trails there, they range from easy wide paths to technically difficult trails with steep hills, jumps, steps, and winding in and out of trees, oh and cliffs!

Gotta love my boy, he was a superstar with the whole thing, despite my friend's mare being up his butt. I jumped him over a few xc fences, nothing big, everything was under 3 foot, but still, it was his first time over fences in awhile so he was good! We got back to the trailer to find a ton of trailers and about 20 horses, turns out a big group was heading out. I wished them luck...at 10:30 it was already sweltering and the horseflies were out in full force.

Word of advice on hackamores: please be careful. You may think that a hackamore is less severe than a bit but the action of a hackamore is actually very severe and can do more damage than a bit (broken nose) in the wrong hands. Unless you have been given specific instruction and ride with LIGHT contact, I would stay away from a hackamore. A light plastic/metal mullen mouth (straight bar) is a nice choice for a sensitive horse, as is a french link (which is what my QH who works 99% off my seat goes in).

A crop is a useful tool and not one to shy away from. It is a different form of reinforcement than legs, so a horse will respond better to it if it is dead to leg aids. Like any piece of equipment, it can cause damage if used incorrectly, but it doesn't have to hurt the horse!

Bareback is my favorite form of riding. Unless I'm jumping big fences or going on a long trail ride, I go bareback. Bridleless is fun too, it really tests your control of your horse. If you can't walk, trot, canter, and steer correctly with your legs and seat, you need to go back to basics.

Check out this video, this horse and rider combo are AMAZING. Link

And a few pics of my ponies...cuz I can't resist.

Krimpet, my QH...my first horse and my heart horse.

(excuse my terrible position, I think I was looking at something on the ground so I hunched my shoulders)

Bus...retired champion racehorse, won over half a million, then had a jumping career, and is now happily retired. He's 20.

He is the sweetest horse ever...I love him so much.

Please do not use these images for anything....they are copyrighted.

I LOVE YOUR QH!!!!! Beautiful sorrel/chestnut color :) Thanks for the advice, but i have a coach and two other teachers, who have already taught me what you just said ^-^ And yes, i know the dangers of a hackamore, i even posted the dangers of it on this thread lol. I also use a crop whenever the horse isn't responding to my light kicks or squeezes, and when i do use it, it only take a light tap. I really am a sucker for animals, especially horses, so i wouldn't EVEN THINK of hurting one, even if its accidental, i wouldn't forgive myself. I treat all horses as family members, not a "tool" for human purposes.

love your QH, and i really appreciate the advice! Thanks for sharing your knowledge!!! :D XD
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #92 
MyRainbowBettaFish

haha i hate it when its so hot out, but i just need to be around the horses, no matter the weather ^-^

You sound like a great and experienced rider! I appreciate your knowledge! i have been riding for about 3 yrs, currently at intermediate/advanced level :)

Glad to hear about everybody's horses! I am also glad to know that i am not the only one obsessed with horses and riding :)
Old 08-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #93 
Armani33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
I'm new. Just throught I'd introduce my STB Signy. He raced until 10 when I picked him up from his trainer through a friend of a friend. Wrought with a lot of emotional/physical problems we've been working through them. He's gone from a person hating anxious horse to a people tolerating and calmer horse. He's quite affectionate with me but in general he's still wary. We've moved to a new agistment centre and we're starting natural horsemanship lessons soon. Very exciting.

And just so you can compare, this is when I first got him

He is beautiful!! Natural horsemanship methods are usually very effective so I'm sure that will do him a lot of good.
Armani33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #94 
MyRainbowBettaFish

I want to learn Parelli so bad :)

I want my horse to fee; relaxed and happy, and me to feel relaxed happy, and natural. My idols are the people who ride bareback and bride less without a neck rope. I one day want to be like them..totally intone with my horse, needing no tack whatsoever :D
Old 08-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #95 
Sundancex

Wow Aussie, you did a great job getting him back in shape. His butt looks so much better in your after picture, much more muscled! He raced until 10? Long career for your boy. Those horses are built to last forever though if they stay sound through that kind of career. My TB raced until 13 and he's still going strong at 20. If it wasn't for his heart murmur we'd be doing 4 foot jumpers right now...sigh.

@MyRainbowBettaFish. Thank you! My QH is "red dun". His base coat is chestnut but he also has a dilution gene that causes the "dun factor" he has "highlights" in his mane...blonde streaks over a reddish base, he also has a dorsal stripe that goes all the way into his tail, you can see different colored tail hair all the way down his tail. He also has zebra stripes (faint) on his legs.

You might want to youtube "parelli, catwalk" before you start idolizing Parelli, he is certainly not a person I would want anything to do with. Especially when his training program costs thousands of dollars to complete.

You've been riding for 3 years huh? That's great! I bet you've learned a ton! I've had my QH for 6 years, been riding for over a decade. I'm happy to hear that you have a trainer to teach you! That is definitely the way to go over trying to learn things yourself. You won't develop as many bad habits that way.

Yes the heat is bad, but thankfully my boy didn't seem to mind. He was more than ready to gallop over a few xc fences. He didn't want to turn around to go home either.
Sundancex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #96 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Wow Aussie, you did a great job getting him back in shape. His butt looks so much better in your after picture, much more muscled! He raced until 10? Long career for your boy. Those horses are built to last forever though if they stay sound through that kind of career. My TB raced until 13 and he's still going strong at 20. If it wasn't for his heart murmur we'd be doing 4 foot jumpers right now...sigh.

@MyRainbowBettaFish. Thank you! My QH is "red dun". His base coat is chestnut but he also has a dilution gene that causes the "dun factor" he has "highlights" in his mane...blonde streaks over a reddish base, he also has a dorsal stripe that goes all the way into his tail, you can see different colored tail hair all the way down his tail. He also has zebra stripes (faint) on his legs.

You might want to youtube "parelli, catwalk" before you start idolizing Parelli, he is certainly not a person I would want anything to do with. Especially when his training program costs thousands of dollars to complete.

You've been riding for 3 years huh? That's great! I bet you've learned a ton! I've had my QH for 6 years, been riding for over a decade. I'm happy to hear that you have a trainer to teach you! That is definitely the way to go over trying to learn things yourself. You won't develop as many bad habits that way.

Yes the heat is bad, but thankfully my boy didn't seem to mind. He was more than ready to gallop over a few xc fences. He didn't want to turn around to go home either.
I know, i couldn't believe Aussie's horse raced for that long! Usually they only race from 2-5 from what i have seen :) Good for him! He also looks great now, kudos to you! His hindquarters are not as concave as they were, a good sign of a healthy diet and exercise for those muscles!

Thanks SunDance! Why don't you like Parelli? i like natural horsemanship just as much though :)-actually even more because it teaches you to become one with the horse, and the horse and rider move in unity, as one :)

You have been riding for 10 yrs? wow! I really appreciate you teaching me some"tools of the trade" XD
Old 08-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #97 
Sundancex

Yup, at least 10 years, longer I think...I can't really remember. Let me see if I can message you the link of Parelli "training" the stallion Catwalk. You'll understand one of the many reasons I don't like him then.
I don't want to go bashing anyone, espeically a man who has millions in his pocket, but overcharging for training, and doing groundwork that can cause a horse to act dangerous are two things I don't really like about him. NH isn't a "new" training technique, it is just being marketed that way and all the big name NH trainers are over-charging for their "unique methods" that really aren't unique at all. If you want to get started on some "natural" techniques PM me and I can try to help you out. There is some really basic stuff that will help you "communicate" with your horse better. It'll make you feel like a really great horse trainer too.

The way you become "one" with your horse unfortunately can't be taught. Not by Parelli, not by Clinton Anderson, Monty Roberts, or any of the other NH gurus. You need to spend time with your horse, put many miles in the saddle, and figure out how to read him. After 6 years of owning my QH, I know his exact mood from the moment I'm on his back. The best way to learn about horses is to park a chair in the pasture and spend the day watching.
Sundancex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #98 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Yup, at least 10 years, longer I think...I can't really remember. Let me see if I can message you the link of Parelli "training" the stallion Catwalk. You'll understand one of the many reasons I don't like him then.
I don't want to go bashing anyone, espeically a man who has millions in his pocket, but overcharging for training, and doing groundwork that can cause a horse to act dangerous are two things I don't really like about him. NH isn't a "new" training technique, it is just being marketed that way and all the big name NH trainers are over-charging for their "unique methods" that really aren't unique at all. If you want to get started on some "natural" techniques PM me and I can try to help you out. There is some really basic stuff that will help you "communicate" with your horse better. It'll make you feel like a really great horse trainer too.

The way you become "one" with your horse unfortunately can't be taught. Not by Parelli, not by Clinton Anderson, Monty Roberts, or any of the other NH gurus. You need to spend time with your horse, put many miles in the saddle, and figure out how to read him. After 6 years of owning my QH, I know his exact mood from the moment I'm on his back. The best way to learn about horses is to park a chair in the pasture and spend the day watching.

that was so inspirational......

I can most of the time tell what my horse is thinking, his emotion, and what he is going to do next. I do sit there and watch, a lot actually, to the point where the other riders think i am crazy lol...i would love to learn more though from someone so "in tune" with their horses! I also ride these horses..ALOT lol :)

Looking up "stallion catwalk parelli" right now..lets see..
XD Thanks so much!
Old 08-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #99 
Armani33

I have now switched back to English...will I ever make up my mind? ha ha I'm gonna stick with English for now because I want to start doing some dressage and who knows if I get good enough at it maybe I'll start showing that's what I'm hoping for.
Armani33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #100 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armani33 View Post
I have now switched back to English...will I ever make up my mind? ha ha I'm gonna stick with English for now because I want to start doing some dressage and who knows if I get good enough at it maybe I'll start showing that's what I'm hoping for.
sounds like a great plan! I wish you luck!

I am learning English as we speak :)

Tags
clydesdale, horse, horseback riding, horses, quarter horse