Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #101 
Sundancex

Western and english really have the same foundation. Once you learn how to ride, you should be able to ride western, english, heck, even bareback without much of a learning curve.

I like to switch between western and english a lot. Lucky me, my QH knows how to neck rein and direct rein, and works off my seat and leg aids...not my hands. Even when riding english, I often find myself holding the reins in one hand and neck reining him, especially if I'm on a trail ride. I do make sure to use an english saddle if I'm jumping though. I don't advise jumping in a western saddle! Getting impaled by the saddle horn is not fun and can leave a nasty bruise if you do it right.
Sundancex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #102 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancex View Post
Western and english really have the same foundation. Once you learn how to ride, you should be able to ride western, english, heck, even bareback without much of a learning curve.

I like to switch between western and english a lot. Lucky me, my QH knows how to neck rein and direct rein, and works off my seat and leg aids...not my hands. Even when riding english, I often find myself holding the reins in one hand and neck reining him, especially if I'm on a trail ride. I do make sure to use an english saddle if I'm jumping though. I don't advise jumping in a western saddle! Getting impaled by the saddle horn is not fun and can leave a nasty bruise if you do it right.
Thats what i have heard :)

English and western are both tons of fun by themselves, but bareback, WHOA IS THAT AWESOME! Especially without a bridle XD

ouch.. yep i have heard some pretty nasty stories from horn-accidents...
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #103 
Armani33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRainbowBettaFish View Post
sounds like a great plan! I wish you luck!

I am learning English as we speak :)
Awsome!! How do you like it compared to western?
Armani33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #104 
Armani33

Quote:

Ha ha I do the same thing as far as switching from english to western a lot. I'll be riding western for say a week and then go to english and then western again. Summer doesn't know much neck reining so I do direct reining in both english and western. Right now I'm sticking with english because I want to learn dressage.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #105 
Sundancex

Dressage is the foundation of every equestrian sport. Very important, very useful. But boring as heck. I'll tell you what though, the first time you get your horse to lift his back and go into that nice stretchy, swingy trot...it's allllll worth it. The first time your horse puts himself into a frame without any work from you is also awesome, makes you feel like a million bucks!

Teaching your horse to neck rein is easy if you first teach your horse to steer from your seat and legs. Start at the walk on the rain and then shift your weight like you are going to cut across the ring...no rein movement though. Your horse *should* automatically turn in, as you are probably already cueing mostly with your seat and don't know it. But if he doesn't, give a little wiggle of the inside rein and shift your weight more dramatically. You can also give a little bump with your outside leg. You keep practicing cutting across the ring until there is no hesitation from your horse, then work on circles and figure 8's. Then go at a trot, finally canter. Then you can start cueing with neck rein cues. I've trained a few horses that way and it worked well for me. IMO it is important to cross train english/western because, god forbid, something happened and you had to sell/give away your horse, he would appeal to a larger market.
Sundancex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #106 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armani33 View Post
Awsome!! How do you like it compared to western?
Its great! i feel so proper! Infact, i rode english and bareback today! Sooo fun!
Old 08-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #107 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Dressage is the foundation of every equestrian sport. Very important, very useful. But boring as heck. I'll tell you what though, the first time you get your horse to lift his back and go into that nice stretchy, swingy trot...it's allllll worth it. The first time your horse puts himself into a frame without any work from you is also awesome, makes you feel like a million bucks!

Teaching your horse to neck rein is easy if you first teach your horse to steer from your seat and legs. Start at the walk on the rain and then shift your weight like you are going to cut across the ring...no rein movement though. Your horse *should* automatically turn in, as you are probably already cueing mostly with your seat and don't know it. But if he doesn't, give a little wiggle of the inside rein and shift your weight more dramatically. You can also give a little bump with your outside leg. You keep practicing cutting across the ring until there is no hesitation from your horse, then work on circles and figure 8's. Then go at a trot, finally canter. Then you can start cueing with neck rein cues. I've trained a few horses that way and it worked well for me. IMO it is important to cross train english/western because, god forbid, something happened and you had to sell/give away your horse, he would appeal to a larger market.

The horses i ride a REALLY well trained, and can for the most part to western and english, and some do jumping and dressage. I appreciate the tips though, they will come handy for the new horse!
Old 08-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #108 
Armani33

Smile

Here are a couple of pictures of summer my lease horse. For anyone who doesn't already know she is a 10 year old dun Belgian draft/Thoroughbred/Quarter horse mare.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #109 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armani33 View Post
Here are a couple of pictures of summer my lease horse. For anyone who doesn't already know she is a 10 year old dun Belgian draft/Thoroughbred/Quarter horse mare.
O MY is she GORGEOUS! She seems like such a luv..

Your barn/stable is also very nice!

UPDATE:

We are going to be looking at a 9 yr QH and 15 yr Morgan/QH trail horse for sale soon!

LOVE Summer!!! She has a beautiful color, how many hands?
Old 08-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #110 
PaintedOaksOki

OH! I love horses, and couldn't survive without 'em! I started off riding western, and learned to ride english two, maybe three years ago! I love it a lot, I'm learning to jump now too, that is fun, but I have yet to master even the smallest of jumps... yet! xD
PaintedOaksOki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clydesdale, horse, horseback riding, horses, quarter horse